Natalie asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

Help! My pet rat is scared of my other pet rat?

I got them together a few months ago and they are really close and bonded but for the past 2 days one of my rats is absolutely terrified of the other one every time he sees him he hides under the fleece :( pls help idk what’s wrong or what to do

• Nathan

You will want to go through the introduction stage with them again, as they might of caught which is causing this fear. I suggest watching Emiology on YouTube for help

Don't separate them unless there is evidence of physical harm. Rats are not like mice and will get along with other males. (there are situations where too much testosterone is produced. to fix this, people will get their rats castrated.) Keep an eye on them to see if they are fighting, and double-check you have the sexes right. Some things you can do in the meantime is upgrade their cage, offer a bunch of toys, give them out of cage enrichment.

Does the other rat perhaps have a new scar with a disturbing backstory or an eyepatch? 

If it’s two males in a small cage they’re going to get territorial. Rats enjoy company but even they have their limits. You can get a much bigger cage so that each guy will have their own territory and if they want company they can meet somewhere in the middle. 

They're mature enough to be territorial. Try separating them. I did for mine, and then they were fine when the saw each other through their cages.