350 small block that idles perfect but when driving misfires has no power and stalls after a bit?

i have a 77 Chevy 350 small block that i took out today and it started up perfect idled perfect went into gear good then when i gave it a bit of gas it bogged down like it wanted to die once i got it on the road it drove good for a little then i started hearing popping that i believe was coming from the carburetor and it seemed steady every few seconds or so there was a pop so i brought it home and at a turn before my house i stopped then started pulling out and the truck stalled started back up goo and made it too my driveway where it stalled again any ideas? so far im thinking the timing is off ?

Check the distributor cap and button resister. Over time the button resister spring rusts and turns to dust under the center electrode feeding the rotor.

• cameron4 weeks agoReport

thank you for your info we found the problem to just be bad timing and a lean fuel mixture 

Engine is likely running lean or ignition is weak.  Try replacing the inline fuel filter first and  check for a good spark.  And these engines do NOT like gasohol.  Good luck.

• Rick

sounds to me like a weak ignition coil ................................