Gabby asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

My rat is making noises when he sleeps?

My younger rat is making snuffling noises when he sleeps. He only does this when he sleeps. He is otherwise healthy. He eats and drinks and plays with his brother. He lets us handle him etc. Should I take him to the vet anyways?

I’ve heard of wuffeling. Could that be what he is doing? I video taped it, but there is no way to post it here. 

• mokrie
    Favorite Answer

He's dreaming. The snuffling noise is known to be laughing among rodents. I've heard it described as chuffing sounds. He's having fun while asleep.  YES-he's laughing and playing while asleep.

• Nathan

Yes, he may have an illness that is affecting him - rats are very good at hiding illness when they are awake but they can't do it when they're sleeping

• Gabby4 weeks agoReport

We have them both on antibiotics now due to other signs of illness. Hopefully he’ll stop making the noise after this round. Thank you!