Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 4 weeks ago

didn't file form 709?

Year ago, I gave $30,000 as a gift to My sister. and at the time I didn't know anything about filing 709 form,   Just recently I learnt online about this 709 filing rule.  That is the only gift i gave in my life time, what should i do now? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • NA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Besides the fact you were required to file the form, if the IRS audits your sister and finds the $30K with no gift tax form, they may hit her with unreported income.

File the 709 and attach a letter saying you just found out about the filing requirement.

• NA
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

FWIW, the IRS keeps form 709 on file for at least 75 years.  For the largest estates, the presence or absence of the forms *is* an issue.

• 4 weeks ago

Is "Year ago" "One year ago" or "Years ago" as in maybe 7+ years?  It might make a difference in some strange situation.

• 4 weeks ago

You can amend the return by filing the form.

• NA
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You can't amend a form that hasn't been filed.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I'd just let it go and do nothing.  Unless you give total lifetime gifts over a couple million dollars, doesn't change your tax anyway

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Do nothing.  The chances of the IRS finding out after this amount of time is about zero.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

2 choices. File it or don't.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.