Samantha asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What breeds of dogs make good buddies for TV watching,sleeping,reading,some time in a fenced yard with me? And a little play time.?

Favorite Answer

Probably about 200 breeds out of about 400 breeds. Most of what you want would be to pick the pup with the right temperament to be the dog you want. There is a pecking order in every litter & you do not want the most dominate one, you should chose one that is more laid back & more submissive. Usually you can ask the breeder about the pecking order to help you chose.

You can check out any dog breed online. You can check out the AKC standards for every breed. You can check out the national breed club for each breed.

I am sure you are thinking of a specific breed, one that you favor over the others. You might check out the Companion Breeds, that is a section all by itself in AKC breeds.

If you would like less shedding, try checking out the 'hypoallergenic dog breeds'. The only way you are going to find the dog you want is to do the research.

Stuffed dogs from a toy store.

Then Shih Tzu is your dog!!! They are lap dogs personified, my male will chase after tennis balls and is possessed with it, and goes bonkers with squirrels which leads me to think besides being lap dogs for Chinese royalty, they might have been used to chase vermin in the Chinese palace, however, you'll never read that in a AKC description/history of the breed.

• di

Great Dane - except it will need its own couch.

• Ocimom

A retired racing Greyhound.  They are couch potatoes inside a house :)

Pit bulls are one of the best

Bejon Frise... The best dogs ever!!!!

💕💕💕

Chinese crested powderpuffs

Stuffed ones.........read the comments below

• Samantha

There are plenty of dogs that meet my needs, I have had them in the past -- all mutts. I'm trying to narrow it down so it isn't a gamble.

Keep in mind that all dogs regardless of what their breed or mixture is still need daily walks at least once if that's what suits the individual dog with access to a secured fenced backyard.

● PUG ● SHIH TZU ● FRENCH BULLDOG ● LHASA APSO ● BICHON FRISE ●CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIELThese in MY OPINION are generally good breeds that don't require so much exercise and are generally happy with one or two 30 to 40 minute walks a day and some play time with you.

Thoroughly research these breeds as with all dogs their are pros and cons especially if you decide to rescue over finding reputable breeders who screen their breeding dogs to make sure they're not affected by breed specific ailments and who also have their dogs titled.

ETA: The WHIPPET or a retired ex-racing GREYHOUND can also be a potential fit provided you have either a large enough back yard for then to run around in or some other acess to a large fenced in area where they can free run and stretch  their legs for an hour a couple times a week. A lady brings her two Whippets and Grey to the dog park I use sometimes and the hounds really give the other dogs a good chase work out.