Katie J. asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 months ago

Why are people so against recycling?

It seems like everywhere I go people are adamantly acting out against recycling. Turning over bins, throwing them in dumpsters, and I even saw a group of protestors out the other day demanding that the town stop collecting recyclables. Now I understand that it’s ineffecient and not helpful and whatnot, but why do we need to stop the practice completely? People are really pissed as all hell about it it seems. Why?

• F

Because we now know those nice Chinese who we paid to recycle our crap (presumably into more crap to sell back to us), just dumped it in the Pacific.

Recycling is like masturbation. It feels good to some people but it isn't helpful. 

they believe it's too much work or the Earth has so many resources it doesn't matter

• Donna

You're using the same stuff someone else used. They just feel that you can be using the same germs or other stuff. People like items brand new.

Recycling is a behavior,” Brian Iacoviello, an assistant psychiatry professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City told The Huffington Post. “Much like exercising or eating healthily, people often engage in this behavior less than they ‘should.’”

People love to recycle. But its hard sometimes and they feel boring.

I was recycling but I found most stuff ends in the dump or gets shipped off to third world countries where they mostly throw it in dumps or into the ocean. 

It’s a con game. 

Many people are just oppositional, if you say its raining, they say its sunny

They hate other people making money off stuff they throw away. My small town used to make thousands a year off recycling. Some people didn't like to see the town making money so they'd dump oil in with the paper and cardboard, put rocks and window glass in with the glass bottles, styrofoam in with the #1+2 plastics. Now we just send everything off to be incinerated--- costing the town much more since they now have to pay to get rid of what they used to get paid for. Stupid rednecks are happy though...

I put out 4 40 gal. bins of recyclables every other week.