Why is my desktop pc freezing on the boot screen?

When i start the PC it just shows this screen and never changes. I press ESC for the boot menu but nothing happens, it just continues to stay on this screen. I tried changing the CMOS battery but that didn't work. I also tried changing the ram, but that also didn't work. I even tried changing the processor. The motherboard might just be bad but i would really prefer not to buy a new one right now. So im just wondering if anybody knows whats wrong. Its a Compaq Presario SR1838NX. If this isn't enough information let me know.

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Best answer

Very old approximately 2004. Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD

What you show goes as far as the motherboard, with three final steps being the completion of the bios on the eeprom which is in its final step, the boot software registry on the HDD, and/or Windows software on it.

The value of the computer is now extremely low.

Yes on Safe boot, and that takes it as far as hdd, which is probably the bad item, or its contents.

See if the boot menu lefts you boot to DOS.

• A.J.
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Wouldn't choose usb over hdd. From screen shown, does it boot to dos, or safe mode. Something wrong in bios if not reaching dos.

• 2 weeks ago

You can't just put in a pre-loaded Win7 hard drive in your machine. The OS needs to be installed in order to install drivers for the hardware to work properly. If not, it freezes. Like it is now. You can barely run Win10 on it. It'll work, but it'd be slow. Find a fresh copy of Win10. Install more memory and replace the Hard Drive with a Solid State option. If you were to do that, you'll be able to keep that system running for another couple of years.

• 3 weeks ago

Hi. At this point it's  either the keyboard not working or the Win7 installation failing. You say replaced the RAM, I'd also check that again, classic lock-up point for older motherboards.

Your next step would be to download a live linux CD image & burn it, then boot from it. either with or without the hard drive connected.

I recommend a Puppy linux, the 32bit obviously.

Boot directly from the CD itself, & You can use it to run a system spec report, which will tell You if the RAM is all connected, & what hardware is in the system as long as it's all working.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=live+...

G'Luck!!!

• 3 weeks ago

A lot of programs and drivers load into Windows when you boot. One of them apparently doesn’t play well with others. The trick is to discover and then eliminate the problem program.

But how can you do that if Windows freezes before you can do anything with it?

The trick is to boot Windows into Safe Mode, which avoids potential problems by skipping the autoloading programs and all but the most basic drivers. Once there, you should be able to disable all of your enabled autoloading programs. How this is done depends on your version of Windows.

Windows 7

Boot the computer and immediately start pressing and releasing F8 over and over again. Instead of the Windows login screen, you should get the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.

Once you’ve booted into Safe Mode, click Start, type msconfig, and press Enter to bring up the System Configuration program. Click the Startup tab.

Each item has a checkbox. The ones that are checked are enabled. Make a note of which ones are enabled so that you can go back to them later if need be. Then uncheck them all.

Read more.....

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974053/your-pc-bo...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

does it make any noises, other than fans?

is there a hard drive activity light? does it flicker?

try disconnecting hard drive to see if it errors. you may have a bad drive. they typically only last around 10 years, so if it's never been replaced...

• Sean3 weeks agoReport

I actually put a new hard drive with Windows 7 on it. But it still freezes on the boot screen. And yes, i can hear the drive spinning over the sound of the fans.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It is not a Hardware problem.   It is the Operating System.  Do a clean install on a new SSD (solid state hard drive).

Then use the old hard drive to recover your files.   A clean install will fix the problem.

• 3 weeks ago

Boot to Safe Mode on an HP computer.  For your model, might be F5 or F8 at power up.  If it goes to Safe Mode, you have a software problem, maybe a driver.

If not able, you might have a hardware problem.  Contact maker (HP?) or search on Internet for a clue or a forum.

• Sean3 weeks agoReport

Im not able to boot into anything because it literally goes to this screen and stays there no matter what i press on the keyboard. The PC is too old, HP doesn't have any information on it anymore.

• David
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Look at the bottom of your screen shot, press F1 for setup, do this and go into the BIOS setup and see if your hard drive is listed, if it isn't listed the drive is likely dead. If it is listed run the HP diagnostics, to do this Follow these steps

Restart the computer

As the computer boots, press the ESC key when the HP Splash Screen appears.

When the Startup menu appears, press F2 to enter System Diagnostics.   

System Information: Shows information such as hardware installed and BIOS version.   

Start-up Test: A quick, high level test of the system.   

Run-In Test: A stress test to verify stability of system components.   

Hard Disk Test: Test the hard drive for problems. First it will run a quick test and then a SMART test. This test will take approximately two hours to finish.

Once you have run the tests you can report back with any problems that were found

• Sean3 weeks agoReport

I know for a fact the drive is working because i put a different one in that i have used recently

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.