Coworker Advice...?

Back in July we hired a new girl in our office. After 3 months, she put in her 2 weeks notice because she just wasn't getting the hang of her job. My boss convinced her to stay, but moved her into a receptionist position. She has been doing that job for about a month now. The problem is, my boss has not done much to train her, nor assigned anyone else to help do so. I took it upon myself to type up step-by-step instructions for her to follow, but I don't think she's looked at them. She's asked me questions a few times (regarding things that are in the notes) however I am only a part-time worker and so when I'm not here I assume she's asking someone else for help when she doesn't understand. After hearing a few complaints around the office about her sub-par work I got curious and checked some of her work. There are several mistakes and some is not done. To add to the frustration I have often caught her on Facebook at her desk and know she takes several personal calls on the clock. I know I shouldn't care, but when the last receptionist quit, I was left to clean up the mess they made and fix all their problems which put me behind on my own work. I don't want the same to happen. Should I just mind my own business or tell my boss something?? Advice??

You are part time...not your responsibility.  Mention to the boss...but thats it, nothing more. 

You are part time...you know nothing...in a nice way she simply needs to ask the boss or someone else.

To the boss, as a part time worker I dont feel I have skills to teach her. Someone else needs that job.

I wouldn't care too much...work on you a degree, career to move on.

• Amee4 weeks agoReport

For clarification, I've been at this job for 6 years and have much knowledge about the position. Only recently went to part time in order to go back to school. 

Feel free to bring your concerns (with facts and evidence) to your manager.  Encourage your other co-workers to stop gossiping amongst themselves and tell the manager of their issues as well.

It is wonderful that you feel so invested, but you are taking on too much responsibility for the level of your job. 

Report her. It's theft and it costs the company. The less profit they make, the less of a raise you will see. Besides, you have a civic duty to report theft. The girl does not deserve the job. Reception work shouldn't need much training. Maybe the next hire will be so much better. It sounds like it couldn't get much worse than this louse of an employee.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

You are a part timer. Not a manager. Don't worry about it.

Considering the impact all this has had on you, I'd never say you should mind your own business!   This IS your business, and it's not  your choice.

I'm a manager myself, and your boss sounds a bit disorganized.   I mention this because he/she may not react the way I would if you bring this up.  I would be impressed at the initiative  you've been taking to solve a problem not of your own making. 

I do think you should discuss this, though.  Lay out what you've observed (similar to what  you did here) and then, if possible, try to offer a solution.  If you like working there and would want a career, this is how people achieve those things.  If your boss acts like a jerk, type out a meeting summary of everything you said and the response.   Just file it somewhere.  The day might come when it would be handy.

As much as it sucks, especially if history repeats itself and you end up having to pick up the pieces, I wouldn't go to your boss. Ultimately, it's on him/her to be in control of that situation. You've tried to help her when you're there and even leave notes for when you aren't. Unless you'd like to continue working there, maybe try looking elsewhere?

• H

If her action has any negative effect on your work then you need to take it with the boss. You can not continue to pick up someone's slack forever. 

• Linda

Tell your boss something asap because she sounds like she is not suited for this job.

If her mistakes are significant and will negatively impact the business, yes, take examples to your boss.

If you're just nit-picking about minor things, butt out.    You are not her boss and it's not your job to supervise her.