What are genres of music you can respect, but you're not a fan of?

I am a Metal fan who listens to sub-genres like Heavy metal, Thrash metal, Death Metal, Black metal, Doom metal, Sludge metal, Grindcore, etc. I can respect genres of music like Classic rock, older Country music, Blues, Jazz, and Classical because all of the genres I mentioned require a lot of talent. 

Country music and heavy metal cos they don't come out with obscene stuff.

• Sparky

I repect Rap because it is hard to sing and remember all those lyrics

The main stuff I listen to is Classic Rock, Classic Heavy Metal, a little bit of Alternative Rock, a little bit of Grunge, Some Blues, Ambient Music, Folk Music, Classical, and Film Scores. I cannot get into Jazz, I gave it a chance but it's not for me. I do respect Jazz because of it's cultural significance. 

Some forms of metal and punk

I am a fan of Classic rock, older Country music, Blues, Jazz, and Classical and respect Metal music.

• Mikey

Opera and Metal.

• Andrew

Most forms of music that are played with actual instruments (as opposed to being simulated using computer effects), requires some degree of musical talent, so the question doesn't really hold any meaning for people who play music and have more than a basic grasp of the mechanics of how music is made. 

Blues, Bluegrass, Bossa Nova, Classical, Country, Fado, Flamenco, Folk, Jazz, Metal, Reggae, Rock... They all require talent. There are plenty of Blues and Country songs that are based around three or four chords just as there are Rock and Metal songs that are simplistic or repetitive. 

Whether I particularly care for any given style of music is completely separate from my ability to recognise the talent that goes into making that kind of music.  

And the styles of music that don't necessarily use actual instruments - or employ them on a much smaller scale, like Club, House, Hip-Hop, Rap, and Techno, are simply forms of music that are generally made by people whose talent lies elsewhere than in playing actual instruments. I personally prefer music that's made using instruments, but there are a few DJs and electronic artists that I can respect too. 

I'm not THAT old but my drumming was heavily focused on the big band era, the likes of Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson. While some pop songs are pretty catchy, some even use notes and rhythm. I admire that they manage to reach a wide audience. While the big bands were what spoke to the zeitgeist at one time, trying to sing badly with a 2/2 beat and 2 chords with lyrics about how you feel bad about yourself seems to serve this time. They know what they're doing and I give them respect for it.

However, that doesn't stop me from making fun of it, changing every lyric to have something to do with buttsex.

I respect any one who can respect any kind of music. And does not feel the need to belittle other listeners. Or have an elitest attitude towards their musical preference. And becomes a douche, when anything bad is said about it. There is no place for it. Music is supposed to be enjoyed. Regardless of what you like. You should not have to have your guard up, when talking about your tastes. Being a di*k is easy, actually accepting something is hard. I have done both in the past, thats why I take the approach I take now. Music is a vast landscape, which is forever changing. Embracing that change is better than trying to fight it. Its going to change whether or not you want it to. If you take it this way, you can discover new stuff. And be inclusive at the same time.

Classical and bebop jazz. 

Source(s): nothing