Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 4 weeks ago

Is it safe to go to a salvage/junk yard alone as a woman?

Update:

Y'all are hilarious but seriously, is it safe? I've gone with guy friends before and there are always sketchy people walking around. I need parts for my car and nobody has time to go with me, and I'm kind of scared to go by myself.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Dress suitably (no mini skirts, plunging necklines). Look and behave as if you know what you're doing. Don't stand around looking helpless. Don't make eye contact. Just get on with what you're doing, and if anyone makes advances, say 'Sorry, I'm busy' and keep working.

• don r
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

Watch out for spiders. Those little bastards are everywhere. Use a stick to tear up the web before you poke in your hands.

• don r
    Lv 7
    4 days ago

Nobody goes to the junkyard looking for a woman. Mind the "dresscode" and you'll have no worries. If you get any attention, it's more likely someone will ask you if you need help.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Sure, dress down, hair tied up,  no make up. You R going to get Dirty.  My only concern is men often think all women are car dumb  and might try to give you bad parts. One petite  girl in my class  had worked at Auto Zone, could Heli-Coil  and rebuild a Marvel-Schebler carb as well as any guy. 

I see  women alone , often, at Pick Yore Part.  Some ask Me to help them. 

• Scott
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I don't know, I've never tried it as a woman.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, all the perverts have been gagged. Not so safe ten years ago. 

• 4 weeks ago

Yes. Just don't wear that mini skirt.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes. Just watch out for Chopper. If you hear someone shout, “Sic ‘em boy”, run fast.

Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes.  When I was a teenager in the 1980s, you actually went out in the yard alone with a toolbox and removed the part(s) you needed.  These days, you just do all your business in the main office. 

• don r
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

Look for you parts, do your work, have your own tools, like everybody else there. If you don't know what you're doing it's silly to go there alone. One thing you're sure to learn at Pick Your Part is whether or not you *can* do the job yourself. Horndogs all go to the truckstop, not P-Y-P.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.