Is it weird that I don't listen to music?

I’m 17 years old right now, going to high school where many people not only love music but play interments. All my life I hear music everywhere and everyone talking about their favorite music. I’m always asked when I meet someone new,”what type of music do you listen too” or “what is your favorite song”, I always respond with “I don't listen to music(meaning I don't listen to on my own time). literally everyone I have said that to had a shocked face and asked why? I don't think music is interesting, I've heard a lot of music in my life but i just don't care, its a waste of time, why would I want to hear other people saying words and speaking in a certain tone, it doesn't appeal to me. many of those people are like “okay listen to this and tell me what you think”, I go along and listen to the music they listen to but i just didn't like it, it was a waste of time.

I think that, even if you purposely try not to listen to music....you'll hear it anyway.

Someone or something else could be playing, and you'll listen to "music" that way. 

Everyone has listened to at least one thing that's musical in their life. 

• Raja

That is your way of life.You are not a music lover. You may be having other hobbies. Taste differs. There is nothing strange in it.

so you are saying, you never sing at a church, never sing the national anthem and dont care about music in general?   When I was in high school, we had a class on musical instrument.  I preferred something simple like the flute.   So music was forced into my life.    The school required the students to play the national anthem during monday mass in the hall.   So if you dont like music, it would be hard for you to get the grasp of the class. 

It's a little weird because there is such a wide variety it's strange to not like any of it. It would be like instead of saying I don't like cheese I said I don't like food. or instead of saying I don't like the beach saying I don't like outside of my room

Is not too weird, there are some people that prefer absolute silence over music, is fine.

We are not all the same when it comes to everything ! I like music just fine, but my boyfriend is very much into it, plays guitar and listens to music a lot when he has free time. He was a sound engineer for a famous band for several years, and his love of music and understanding of tone etc, is why. We didn't have that in common but we were both artists in our own right which is one reason we connected.

The truth is i'm tone deaf! LOL really! But i'm a visual artist. My boyfriend is so into music that it is emotionally gratifying for him to listen to what he considers excellent music

• small

I think you give too much importance to the verse rather than the tune..... it is scientifically proved that good musical tunes have a positive soothing effect on our brain..... I suggest you try listening to instrumental music rather than vocal songs.

In any case, there are plenty of people who hate music but have scores of other special qualities and capabilities that make them great in their own right..... so, I would not discard or discredit anyone merely because the person does not listen to music.

Not strange. I'm not that crazy about it either.

No I'm not much into music either, even when I was your age. There are more interesting things.

yes, that is weird.