Bedroom radiator is cold?

The radiator in my bedroom is freeing. I don't think its a case of trapped air. everything I looked at so far talks about if "part" of the radiator is cold but the entire thing this cold. There's not even a hint of heat anywhere in it.

I haven't tried to bleed it yet (dont have a key) but from what i read if it is air at least part of the radiator will be warm. But thats not the case here.

And yes the valve is open

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You say "bleed", which tells us that it's a water and not steam system, as steam radiators have a valve that does that automatically.

When you turn on the room thermostat you should hear water moving in the supply pipes and other radiators on the same "loop" should get warm. If not, you could have a problem with the controls or the loop circulator and a heating contractor may need to help you fix it.

It's also possible that there isn't enough water IN the system to fill all of the radiators, which could point toward the pressure-controlled fill valve at the boiler. You would need to open the bleed valve to see if air comes out or goes in (i.e., equalizing water to some lower point).

A heating professional can probably help you figure this out in a hurry and also help change out some of your bleed valves to use a screwdriver (or to be automatic) rather than needing the "key", which is often missing when you most need it.

Source(s): Have owned and lived in numerous old homes with hot-water radiator problems that I had to fix myself. Siegenthaler: "Modern Hydronic Heating" textbook
  • 1 month ago

Firstly, is the pipe feeding it hot?  If so, it's an issue with the radiator and not the plumbing or pump. The valves may be shut or even stuck if there's a thermostatic valve as mentioned elsewhere. Check them  before you do anything else.  Failing that do try bleeding it, though as you say normally there's at least part of it that's warm if there's trapped air. A bleed key is easy to find and cheap to purchase, and is useful to have anyway.

If the pipe itself is cold it's an issue with the feed. There may be another valve somewhere that's shut off, there may be a problem with the pump, who knows.

• 1 month ago

its easy to check ..first you have TWO  valves on each rad ...they both need to be on ..you open then anti clockwise ...put your hands on the pipes below the valves ..if valves are turned off or airlock one pipe should be warm or hot ..normally the flow side ..

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Two-valve radiators are relatively new.  In olden days, a steam radiator had only one valve and it could not turn off the steam completely, even if you tried.

• 1 month ago

UK answer. If your radiator has a thermostatic valve and other radiators are working it could be stuck closed. If this is the case turn the knob on the valve to maximum and give the valve body a sharp tap with a small hammer or the like which may free it. If this does not work remove the valve head, which may be held on by a small screw or a threaded ring under the head, and you should see a little pin sticking out of the valve body. Grip the pin with a pair of pliers and pull on it gently and see if it moves, if it moves the valve was stuck closed and the pulling will open the valve. If this works, refit the valve head and bleed the radiator as / if necessary. 

I have seen this many times over the years and is fairly common for thermostatic valves to become stuck closed over the summer period when the heating is not needed.

Hope this sorts your problem.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

and maybe the water line to or from the radiator is turned off somewhere else.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I'm assuming it's hot water - not steam.  Are other radiators warm - or all cold.  Is this room the highest in the house?  Must assume that either the valve to that rad is closed or radiator is entirely filled with air.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Or, if it's a hydronic system, maybe the circulator, control, or thermostat has failed in some manner.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would help to know whether this is a steam or hot water system.  It sounds to me like neither steam nor hot water are making it to your radiator, which makes me think several possible causes need to be investigated:

1) Water level in the radiator is low.  It can happen that there is so much air in the rad that the whole thing will be cold.  That's pretty uncommon but I've seen it at least twice.  Bleed the rad to eliminate this possibility quickly and easily.2) Circulator pump is not working.  If this is the case, NONE of the radiators should feel warm.3) Clogged pipe.  Scale is a thing with hot water systems, and scale can build up until the pipe is just plugged with limestone.  You might need a pro for this.4) Water level in the boiler is low.  Again, this would affect all the rads, or the ones at the uppermost/farthest levels from the boiler. This is a borderline emergency; a boiler shouldn't come on if the water level is low and if it's firing while out of water, you could burn out your heat exchanger - and all of that assumes the boiler is firing at all.Those are the biggies.  Good luck with it.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First ensure the heat is on, ensure the valve is on, and if the entire things is filled with air. The entire thing certainly could be cold.

• 1 month ago

Put some steam in it , get the boiler hotter

• 1 month ago

If everything you wrote is true then you need to go down to where the boiler is and see if the circulating pump is working.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.