Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

Am I wrong or right for being angry with a coworker who took vacation the same time as me?

When my coworker said she was taking a vacation, months ago, I asked her let me know which days your taking so we don't take at the same time. She didn't let me know but I told her the days I am taking my vacation.

She could've told me the days I am taking matches her. Now both of us took the same days as a vacation and I am angry about that. I just wanted two weeks vacation from her, now I feel like I didn't have a vacation at all because I get to hear her annoying voice soon.

Favorite Answer

Your anger is valid for you but given you cannot change or control this situation, decide how much emotional energy you want to give your co-worker.  Allow yourself to accept what has happened, so you can fully enjoy your time away from your workplace.  As for what you perceive as your co-worker's annoying voice, tune out/put your focus elsewhere and only engage when necessary.

not much you can do about it, you cant control when she takes her vacation

• reme_1

Can you transfer to a different area in the office, in the dept? Can you wear earphones at work?l

I am surprised that the co let 2 people take vacation at the same time.

If the job isn't all that important maybe you want to look for another position.I don't think that bringing it up to H R dept is worth it. They will think it's a nuisance complaint to get away from her.

• Lily

Dude, I would plain not G.A.F. about your damn vacation. She had that time picked months ago, and she's not going to care that you are this livid with her - and neither would I if it was you and me in this situation. I would take my vacation and not give one cent about how you felt about it, especially if my vacation time had already been approved by a manager. You need to grow the hell up and realize that there are more problems than first world problems to worry about.

Who approves your vacation time ? Surely you both have to get time off approved by a manager. It is up to the manager to allow or deny it.  Nothing to do with your co-worker surely ?

I am not sure what your issue is, given you appear to have been given the time off you wanted..

Nothing to be angry about

• drip

You want a vacation during a certain time. You go to your boss and request days off.  You shouldn’t of talked about to others until you were approved for your vacation. Her vacation has nothing to do with yours.

If you dislike working with her so much that you feel you need two weeks away from her, time to think about changing departments or jobs. 

And in the end you are still not seeing her for two weeks

Yes you are wrong.

You are not her boss and she doesn't report to you.   It's none of your business when she takes vacation.

Self-entitled much? 

Unless you two are vacationing together, how is your two weeks off not still a vacation away from her? From a work perspective, the boss should have let one of you know that vacation time is already booked if coverage was an issue. Considering you find her annoying, why should she bother sharing any personal information with you? You have feelings of entitlement when there is no entitlement here. You anger is at not getting your perceived entitlement fulfilled. If you are looking for rational grounds to be angry, there is none here. You are literally generating your own drama that no one else shares, which could affect your ability to enjoy your vacation if you like to stew about things.

• Jerry

That you asked this lady to "let me know which days your [sic] taking," that you "told her the days I am taking my vacation" doesn't translate to this lady being obliged to grant your request. She is still free to decline your request. It's unreasonable to imagine that she isn't free to choose to NOT cooperate with your request. 

I think you have a perfect right to be angry. Even if she was a real sweetheart - it would have been nice to have a 2 week break. That said... try not to let her ruin the time YOU have off. And NEXT time.... ask more often when she's going on vacation. And don't let her know what your plans are!