Is it Hard to Build a Gaming PC?

I heard I could save a lot of money by building my own box instead of buying one fully put together. I don't have any experience with stuff like that but I am a fast learner. Is it really difficult? I want a blu-ray burner, good hard drive, lots of memory, and a video card so I can play games and have good graphics. Have any idea about [Astrum][1] products?

Hi, it depends whether you have alot of components or just a few and it is also judged on whether you have a single clue what you are doing. 

I don't think it is the main focus I would go for is a mother board with space for a heavy duty graphic card 

• P

These days building your own PC will probably cost you significantly more money since there are some very good deals to be had on the prebuilt clearance models, which lately have been cheaper to buy and just upgrade one or two components.  I grew up around PC's and upgrading them so building them comes easy. The hard part is knowing what parts to spend your money on and where to save.  There's so much old information and misinformation out there and sorting through it all is hard.   The main advantage of building your own is you get to cherry pick each specific component to your preference.  Aftermarket motherboards will usually have more features\ports than the pre built ones, but at some point you have to ask just what you really need. A lot of those features will go unused for the life of it.

Otherwise the only place people really mess up when physically assembling a PC is with the heat sync on the CPU, which can be a very expensive mistake if it's installed incorrectly.

It usually isn't about saving money as I spend thousands of dollars when I build a unit.  It's more about getting more for your money by picking all of the parts vs. trusting that the parts in the pre-built system are good.

That and I tend to overload the memory and hard drive space compared to the normal pre-built system (of course, I use it with everything that I do, video editing, gaming, etc.)

I learned it just by doing it over the years.  The most difficult (well, time-consuming) part getting the motherboard into the case and making sure all of the wire attachments are correct.  The motherboards usually come with decent manuals to walk you through the process.

• Starrysky

Attaching the CPU chip to socket is delicate.  Attaching the heat sink with Arctic Silver heat transfer compound to the CPU chip and screwing it down takes care, but mostly not a big deal.  Most modern CPUs will not even power up properly unless the sink is in place and its fan is powered.

Nice awesome set up , very good.

• Matt

There are literally tons of hoe to build PC videos on youtube. That's how I went form knowing nothing about it, building one myself. Yes, you can save money, but I went for bigger and better.  Check out this site, it's where I got started. https://pcpartpicker.com/