How common is it to turn a seasonal job into a permanent one?

A day after my training I sold a lot but the following day I slacked but my superior said it was ok because I performed so well the other day. 

I get along with everyone and I’ve never had an issue. I’m only a week in but I love the store and think everyone is good people. 

I also love the customers. Is it weird if I ask my superiors how likely it is to become permanent after the season? 

I did ask for the Christmas week off to spend time with my mother though

• mokrie

Just drop the hint that you love working there to your boss. Say you HOPE they will need you after the holidays are over. It will stick in his mind and that way he may decide to ask you to remain.

It depends mostly on their needs. Retail is only profitable about 2 months of the year. So when they ask for seasonal, thats what they need. Now, if a permanent employee or two quit they may consider keeping the best temp.

• Scott

You were hired to work the holiday season, and you requested Christmas week off? You lack good judgement. I'd say you have zero chance of getting hired.

Christmas week off...as a seasonal employee...you have almost no chance of becoming permanent.

Don't expect to have a job to go back to after you take off for Christmas.

• Maxi

A seasonal job and you asked for Christmas week off.......... no chance!

• I don't know how common it is, but it happened to me. 

Try not to slack off, if you  have good performance then keep it up. 

You don't know what goes on when you're not there. You would have to ask your manager if any one has issues with you. Your co workers are nice because they have to be polite and show their co workers some respect. 

You can try asking if your manager is interested in keeping you on after the holidays. But taking Christmas week off was not a good idea. You're a seasonal worker, you have to be available to work on holidays. Maybe see if you can reduce your week to a few days to spend with your mother, just don't ask to be off on Christmas Eve. Stores usually close earlier on that day any ways.

• audrey

Forget it. Asking for Christmas week off on a seasonal hire is job suicide.

• Judy

You can ask. If they have openings, they will very likely make offers of permanent jobs to the best of their seasonal people. It's surprising though that you were hired for the seasonal job when you're not available Christmas week.

Retailers tend to recruit from their temp seasonal staff. I worked for a place that normally offered their best Christmas staff any vacancies available in mid December. I started at the end of October and was offered a position in mid November.

If you are a temp and you are asking for the busiest week of the year off forget it.  

If you were permanent staff and asked for time off in December you would get laughed at.