Tippy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

A customer submitted a complaint about me at work (see details below) was what I did considered wrong or rude of me?

I work at jimmy johns and a customer (early to mid 20s year old guy) comes in and orders a sandwich and requested lots and lots of mayo and we're not told to limit how much condiments we add based on a customer's request... so I add more mayo than what it normally comes with than he asks how much he's allowed to have on his sandwich and I respond with "technically as much as you want but it gets kind of annoying for us to have to put on more than this" I was just getting kind of annoyed after a long day of work and him asking for all his special instructions.

However, he responded by saying "Oh I'm sorry! I had no intentions to annoy you, I'm also sorry to say I'm going to report you and this incident to your manager, (my name)" he looked at my nametag. Does he have a good reason to want to complain to my manager? Should I be worried about what may happen because of this?

Reporting this seems little over the top but you definitely didn't get the training lecture on how "the customer is always right".

You were in the wrong. I would lodge a complaint as well if an employee called me annoying. You're lucky to still have a job.

• Next time just fill up an XXL cup with mayo and stick in a straw

i would be more careful how you talk to customers next time

It would have been more sensible to put the burden on HIM, like this:

Him: How much mayo am I allowed?

You: As much as you want, sir, but if I put on more than this, your sandwich is going to be really hard for you to eat.

This way you were polite to him, and it wasn't your problem if he couldn't actually get the messy sandwich into his mouth.It is never the job of a service worker to tell a customer that YOU find their request 'annoying'. Make it 'annoying' for THEM instead, while killing them with politeness.

• drip

You told him his request was annoying and you didn’t want to do it. 

Can’t you put extra mayo in a cup for him to add on as he pleased. 

If you tell a customer you can have as much as you want but it is annoying for me to do for you,   then yes that is very rude and immature.   

You responded to the customer in a manner that made sense to you and you are not responsible for how your comment may have been interpreted. However, when dealing with customers, there is always an appropriate level of professionalism expected, and perhaps this person felt you had crossed that boundary. If you are concerned, have a conversation with your Manager and seek their guidance as to how best to handle requests from customers.

Yes. Remember in a customer service position, the customer is always right. You'll probably have a talk with the manager asking what happened, and then you'll be told don't let it happen again and just make the sandwiches.

• Cogito

Yes, you were rude and unprofessional.

As you've been told there's no limit on how much mayo a customer can have, it follows that if he wanted a bucketful, he could have it.

All you had to say was, "As much as you like, sir."  And keep adding it until he says, "That's enough."

To tell him that he's being annoying was totally uncalled for.

He's a greedy bully and his complaint should be ignored. There is a limit to the amount of mayonnaise you can put on a sandwich without it dripping out the sides all over the place. I'd have told him to "f**k off" but I'm Australian, not American, and we can tell annoying customers where to go.