Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Are JWs welcome to say their prayers in a Church and do JWs consider Church to contain idols like Jews think and will not enter?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Given that JWs never have prayer meetings, and only selected men give an opening and closing prayer at their meetings, and that they consider all other religious meetings to be satanic, they would not take part in any prayers of other religions. A few liberal or ecumenical denominations might be happy to have them pray with them but no JW would ever take part. In groups that declare the JW faith to be heretical, there would never be an invitation for JWs to pray in their services of worship or Bible study groups or prayer meetings. 

JWs know that Protestantism abhors idols, as they do, but JWs consider even a cross to be idolatrous (and a crucifix far more-so). There are some Protestant churches that don't even have a cross to be seen anywhere, yet JWs still would not enter in for a worship service, let alone pray there. They view every religion apart from their own as part of Babylon the Great, that God has told them to get out of. All religions will be crushed by Jehovah, they say, apart from themselves. This should enable you to see why there is mutual lack of welcome to pray!

• 👀 🚶
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

You failed to correct me of your belief, so you must believe it. Thank you.

• 4 weeks ago

Jehovah's Witnesses do not say prayers in a non-Christian place of worship like a Trinitarian church.

Think of it like a Trinitarian saying prayers in a Mandir.

• 👀 🚶
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Ann, don't you believe that Trinitarians are the only Christians and that all who claim to be Christian but do not worship your trinity man-god will suffer for eternity in your hell?

• 4 weeks ago

Anyone who behaves respectfully is welcome in Eastern Orthodox churches.

As for Jews not entering Christian churches, our Jewish friends came to our daughter's wedding and were delighted to hear Psalms read.  

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • sarah
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

People go where they think the truth is being told. Mormons do not go into other churches or Adventists or any other such as Pentecostal. In fact, I have a cousin who is Baptist. She will not go to the Baptist church in this town. Because he preaches to much politics. So she drives to another town to go to the Baptist church. Jewish people will not go into the Catholic Church or will they share prayers. We have many Native Americans who have tribal religions and they will not go into any churches. But when JW's do not want to go into other churches people think that is strange? I find that really interesting. The Catholic Church in our town excommunicates people. They refuse to talk to them or even let them go to church. But someone in this town was disfellowshipped and so only the elders could talk to him. Everyone was up in arms against the JW's for doing that. Yet, everyone knew he committed adultery and had a mistress. I always wondered why are they singled out as doing the same thing as others do?

• Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

But the Q is not about that; it's asking if JWs are welcome to pray in a non-JW building with non-JWs. You know they are not but have not said why. JWs won't even let a non-JW pray with/for them on the householder's doorstep or in their house! JWs must control all praying and they reject all others

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

KINGDOM HALL

The principal meeting place of Jehovah’s Witnesses is the Kingdom Hall. Generally, property is purchased, and a new Kingdom Hall is constructed or an existing building is renovated. In order to save on costs and optimize the use of our facilities, several congregations may be able to share the use of a Kingdom Hall when practical. In some localities, it is necessary to rent a hall. 

All congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses contribute toward the use, operation, and maintenance of the Kingdom Hall to which they are assigned. No collections are taken; nor are funds solicited. A contribution box is provided so that those attending meetings may contribute for necessary expenses in connection with the use of the hall. They do so willingly and from the heart.​—2 Cor. 9:7.

Source(s): Arrangements for Places of Worship - https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102014941?q=K...
    • Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

But the Q is not about that; it's asking if JWs are welcome to pray in a non-JW building with non-JWs. You know they are not but have not said why. JWs won't even let a non-JW pray with/for them on the householder's doorstep or in their house! JWs must control all praying and they reject all others

• 4 weeks ago

JW's do consider crosses as idols. But whether JW's feel comfortable entering a church is up to each individual. I've attended funeral showings in churches but not worship services. JW's don't worship and offer prayers at other religious facilities or events.

• Doug
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

JW's worship a different god than do Christians, so praying in a Christian church would present a number of problems for them. The least of those problems would be idolatry.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
  • Any place that says they support our Creator and yet, speak contrary to what the scriptures teach and have artifacts that they use to pray with, then indeed, I for one, would not go into a church and having been raised a catholic, even more so, would not enter a church.

However, if any place of worship does teach what the bible says, then really, they would be being witnesses and thus, no reason to not become a witness.

• I thought I had answered.  But perhaps not. You are asking if we are allowed? Well, there is no question of allowing, because to be a true lover of Jehovah, means that we decided for ourselves and for me personally, I would not pray, because where there are idols, He is not there.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.