Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

Do I have to be there for my Sunday Wedding Brunch?

I am hosting a wedding weekend at a hotel. My guest are showing up Friday for the rehearsal dinner and staying until Sunday. Wedding will be on Saturday. I am planning activities through out the weekend. I would like to leave for my honeymoon early morning Sunday. Would it be weird if I threw a stop by brunch on Sunday for my family and friends? That my partner and I not attend?

This is PRECISELY the kind of detail you're supposed to delegate to the maid/matron of honor and/or the best man. It's totally fine to take off early and let your appointed wedding party members take up the slack.

The Sunday morning brunch is normally for the parents and newlyweds.  I don't see the purpose of your inviting family and friends then not even show. I'm sure the time at the wedding and reception is well spent together with all your friends so they don't have to attend the brunch.  Have your time with all your parents share Love and thank them for the wedding and festivities especially if they paid.

• Edna

Why not just forget the idea of having a brunch on Sunday morning?  What would be weird would be if  you threw a brunch for your family and friends, but you and your new husband didn't attend.

• Ocimom

If you can afford it, that is fine but its not necessary.  You leave for the honeymoon.  Even at a reception the bride/groom usually will leave before the guests do - they don't stay the entire time.

I don't think it's weird at all.   In fact, I did something similar.  We did stop by, but it was at the very beginning and we stayed about 5 minutes.

What you're doing is very thoughtful for your guests.   You could use word of mouth if you want to alert them you won't be there, or if you're putting together a calendar of events, just indicate it with the brunch part.  My guests really appreciated this.  It was a large-ish destination wedding in S Lake Tahoe, and I set the brunch up at the hotel nearest the airport.

• drip

Let your parents host it. Guest should realize ahead of time the bride and groom will not be there.  That they have already left for their honeymoon. 

• Kelly

I've never hosted an event that I didn't attend and I've never been to an event that the hosts of it weren't there.

I had a ton of out of town guests who came from all over to attend my wedding.  We had a brunch the following day for them and we attended it too, we just left for our honeymoon later.

Yes; it would be weird to host an event you weren't at

• You "should" make a brief appearance; then head off on your honeymoon.

Yes, of course it would be weird. I have known couples who did this- it's pretty common in the South. You need a reservation at a very nice hotel nearby for Saturday night, and then you go to the Sunday brunch before leaving for your honeymoon.