Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

What happens if I get caught without insurance?

I live in my car and can't afford $2000 for liability.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • bobby
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

If you get caught, you will be charged with driving without liability insurance and the plates will be confiscated and turned in to DMV and your vehicle could be impounded. Depending on your state's laws, you may have to appear in court and could be given jail time or a suspended sentence plus fines.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You live in your car right now?  That won't last long if you are parked on the side of the road which is COP TERRITORY.  They patrol the public roads looking for uninsured vehicles AND people living in their vehicles.  They are vagrants (that can afford a car.) Still a vagrant. There are vagrancy laws in the town, so when they find you. they seize the vehicle and IMPOUND IT.  You cannot sleep in the vehicle in the impound Lot.  You lose your temporary home. Now you are a "street person" who has internet...O.K., so you used the Library computers for free...still you got no car and the cost of retrieving that car is going up everyday it is in impound. I don't stay in touch with the cost there but $20/day is possible.  Plus you have to pay for the towing charge.  As they tow your vehicle where you are at now to the impound lot.(does not matter that it runs...they tow)  You have to pay that cost TOO otherwise no car for you!

My insurance does not cost $2000/yr and you can buy Monthly or Quarterly or Half year plans and it costs proportionally less. 

There is no such thing as Day insurance.

Without insurance is the time when you do crash. Do you have $50,000.00 cash to pay for the others medical bill? You have no insurance so automatically it is YOUR FAULT.   You were not suppose to be on the road at all.

That is the story.  Movie to come out later. (part of the Fast & Furious sequel.... "Uninsured & asking for it"

• Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You're not going to pay $2000 for Liability coverage alone. $2000 would pay for Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive coverage.

You can live in your car, if you want to; but if you get caught driving your car without insurance, it will probably be impounded - and then you'll have nowhere to live.

• Judith
      Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

Where do you get your information?  I have seen/known people who pay $2,000 for liability coverage.  In which State did you get your legal training?

• 4 weeks ago

You get charged with driving without insurance.  Duh.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

You get a citation for no insurance and your vehicle gets impounded.

• May
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Normal people can't tell what will happen in the future.

I can say with limited certainty though that you won't enjoy "what happens".BUT......There are two ways to find out for sure "what happens".One way is to ask a psychic.The other is to do the act and wait to see "what happens".

It is a bit strange though that you seem to be able to afford a computer and a internet connection, etc. but not insurance....... ???

How do you spell **priorities** ?

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

And he affords a computer, internet connection, etc., but is so broke that he has to live in his car.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The penalty depends on where you get caught. Read and learn for the state you're in: https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/penalties-for...

Besides a potentially large fine, possible car and driver's license suspension, possible towing and impounding of your car (also expensive), you will probably be required to show proof of insurance before the licenses can be reinstated. Altogether it can cost a lot more than the insurance, especially if you get busted for it more than once.

If you have an accident without insurance coverage and someone gets hurt, you can go to jail too .  

• 4 weeks ago

In some states, they can take the car away, which would leave you with nowhere to live.

In most states, there's a very large fine, which you can't afford.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Oh, can you afford $50,000 in medical bills when you hit someone and cause injuries? No? Most people can't, which is why insurance is mandatory. You shouldn't be driving until you are insured.

• 4 weeks ago

$2000...?  Most people pay less than $100 a month.

Anyway, you could wind up causing a lot of harm that you cannot afford to pay.  Additionally, your car could be towed and you'll be fined.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.