Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

how do i stop treating my mom badly?

hi. i’m 13. i always treat my mom really badly and i feel bad about it but i literally can’t control it. sometimes she’ll be talking about the most simplest things and i’ll lash out like a *****. my mom is honestly really sweet to me and tries to be the best mom she could be and i honest to god hate myself for doing what i am to her and i don’t know how to stop. i really wanna learn how to manage this and it might just be a teen thing but i don’t think it is. anyways please help me. thank you.

Do you have anger issues or do you just say the first thing that comes to your mind when you get annoyed? from what you're describing it sounds like she gets on your nerves. Just don't say anything when she does if you have nothing nice to say just don't say anything. Practice makes perfect you'll get the hang of it in no time.

How do you stop treating your mom badly???  Stop being a spoiled insolent brat.  If you have issues you need to talk about go to your school counselor and locate an anger management group near you.  All schools have them. 

Mood swings are common in someone your age.  You do need to learn to control them.  Talk to your mom and ask her to help you find a good counselor.  Your school's counselor may be able to help find one, too.

• Linda

My sisters used to do this to my mom and it made her cry. First of all, you need to respect your mom and respect your elders and you are not doing that. When you find yourself about to explode walk away and go to your room and wait 5 minutes until you have calmed down enough to talk to her without being verbally abusive and disrespectful. Part of it is hormone but a lot of it is rebelliousness.

Honey I think you will find your Mother understands it is the usual teenage angst hormones acting out, and is probably not taking it all to heart.  That saying, however, is that you know you can do better, and a good start is to offer an apology as soon after the event as possible.  One day you will grow out of it but until then you will have to learn some self control, and truly your Mother really deserves a break hey.  Speak to a counsellor at school and they may be able to offer you some suggestions on how to curb your tongue.  Nothing will be perfect and nothing will happen overnight, but it will be good to get a start on it hey.  Until then give your Mum a hug and a kiss tonight, get a good nights sleep and know your Mum will sleep better tonight too.  

You have to think long and hard about what pushes you to do this (low self-esteem ? Repressed feelings ?), ideally talk about it with a psychotherapist, and with your mom. 

Also, if it's an anger management issue, you should take up a physical hobby, like boxing or martial arts, you'll learn to let out anger and feelings out in a controled environment. If you can't afford it, just box a punching bag or a big pillow real hard for a few minutes, or go for a run around the block to clear your head.

• Tj

One day when she is gone, you will live a life of hell, remembering how you treated her.

You are 13!!  And teens and I am 19 but at 13,  you have little say over adults.  You are barely a teen,  now brush your teeth and go to bed.  Maybe the tooth fairy will hook you up.  Go to bed!~

i would just apologize and try to do better next time

maybe you should get some counseling to find out why youre like that and be thankful you still have your mom around, wish i did