Do you think parents can tell their adult kids what to do if they live with them? ?

Not going through this by the way. I don’t think the parents can because once their kid(s) become an adult, then they can do what they want

You can have your own opinion, but I’ll agree to disagree :)   I DO live on my own

No more comments. I already picked the best answer! 

Favorite Answer

No, they can't. The relationship changes when the child becomes an adult. if the parent doesn't recognize the change, that's when conflict comes. they still want to boss the adult child around the the adult won't take it.

Only if the parents have certain house rules that the “kid” has to follow.

I can tell anyone what to do in my own house

• Anonymous8 months agoReport

Lol! You’re not telling me what to do. The last time I checked you weren’t my ******* boss. Just because I walked into your house doesn’t mean you’re my boss. You can call the ******* cops if you want 

As long as these "kids" are 21 and over, actual adults, then the parents have the right to set rules but if the adult kids are unhappy with this they can always move out.

If by adult children, you mean 18-20 year old teenagers, or even younger teens like 17 or 16, STFU. They are still actual kids, regardless of their maturity.  

• And no little girl you are not my boss. Unlike you, I know my place and respect my elders. Which is not only morally and legally right but eternally right as the Bible says to honour and obey your parents until you cease to be a child, which you cease to be when you are older than 20, i.e. 21. 

Parents are just advisors there here to give advice it's up to the adult children to take it.

As it applies to household rules, yes. What an adult child does in their personal life, as long as it does not negatively impact the household, is their business. Anytime you live with someone else you should respect their boundaries and personal space. 

• Layne

You either an adult or you a child.  My adoptive parents call me a child/kid/little girl but they pick on me and they know I am a young wan.

Your parents can advise and you can listen but be confident without being mean. Take charge of your life.  You only live once.  Own it.

• Layne

You are 19?  GASPS you are so immature and I would never date you but I have a boyfriend.  I am popular by the way.  That means I am so cool.

Well, i'd think that adult children who live with their parents still need to abide by parents' wishes... and show some respect for the home.

And i'm not sure what the parents in your question are telling their adult kids to do?

Up to a point, yes they can. And if the kids want to keep living their, they have to listen to them. Of course they can decline anytime they want to, and leave.

• Anonymous8 months agoReport

What can they tell their grown child? What things can’t they control? I don’t think the patents can say things like, “you can’t read Shakespeare in this house”

You're going to be in for a rude awakening if you think you are going to have a blank check in what you do in their home.

• Anonymous8 months agoReport

This wasn’t about me. I do not live at home