Should a grandparent be paid for babysitting their grandkids?

My neighbor is a grandmother and she has been arguing with her daughter about being paid a flat rate to watch her granddaughter.

The daughter doesn't feel she should pay her, I do.

She watches her 10 hrs a day 5 days a week, so it's become a job.

What do you think?

Just for reference I am not just being a nosy neighbor, she asked me to post to get unbiased opinions.

• Jill
    Favorite Answer

I think so. Just because you decide to have kids doesn't automatically make caring for them for free your parent's obligation. Even if that parent wouldn't be working otherwise it doesn't mean they should have to volunteer all their time to you for free while having no time to do their own thing. Remember, they already raised at least one child.

I would like to know if the mother is supplying all the food and everything else required for 10 hrs a day 5 days a week. If not she should at least be compensated for that. 

< She watches her 10 hrs a day 5 days a week, so it's become a job. >

That's a lot of time.  The daughter apparently feels entitled to free day care.  Grandmother needs to grow a spine and say no.  Daughter is going to have a rude shock when she looks into day care costs.

I live in London UK. I have two children, I had them whilst studying at university. My mum gave up her job to look after my children full time and lived with me Monday to Friday to do this for me. I’m a single parent and my mother was so proud when I graduated with an upper second degree in accounting and finance. 

She never once asked me for a penny. My mother is originally from the Caribbean and she was raised by her grandparents. So I believe she feels it’s her duty to help. I also believe it would be my duty to help my children to advance by looking after my grandchildren and I could never charge for that! 

I think your neighbor is being taken advantage of.

• Lita

Yes, she should be paid. Being a grandparent doesn't mean you should be a constant free babysitter. 

I don't think so..

There is no 'should'. Some grandparents need money more than others, some are thrilled to babysit for free.

• audrey

50 hours a week? Of course she should pay her! If she had to hire someone it would cost her at least $500 a week.

The grandparent should absolutely be paid. Who does this daughter think she is? Apparently she does not respect her mother's time or life.

I'm a grandma and have a busy, active life. And even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to be committed to something that is every bit as demanding as a full time job. 

I doubt the daughter would be able to find a better, more loving care provider. She should have realized that children aren't inexpensive.

Source(s): er

It's regrettable that your neighbor wasn't clear from the beginning that this was something she needed to be paid to do.

The daughter is in the wrong. It's up to your friend to decide if she wants to continue being used as a free babysitter, or if she wants to draw the line and tell her daughter to find another sitter.

Definitely. Considering her age it’s also not wise. I mean no disrespect by that either. 

She should be paying her as if it were a daycare but a family discount. I used to mind my brothers kids when I was job hunting and he paid me 50 a week. Wasn’t much but it was more than I would’ve asked for.