How do apartment managers keep track of inspections?

Entirely any way they want, I am sure many have many different systems.

I always kept a spreadsheet with a schedule.  But I managed Low income housing were annual inspections were required.   Most standard housing that I managed did not do inspections on any set schedule.  They were only done when there was just cause to do so (like a bad smell or suspect of unauthorized pets or tenants).

Inspectors do not contact the manager unless it is the state or other agency doing the inspecting. There is no such notification if it is the manager doing the inspection which is usually the case unless the tenant is on Section 8 or it is low income housing. 

• Judith

I do believe that the inspectors contact them.  In fact I know this to be true.  They are notified by the inspector as to the date and  then residents are advised a week in advance that there will be fire inspections or whatever on a certain date and to be prepared.  I live in an 8 story apartment building with 3 wings.  Apartments are selected randomly.  For the first time since I moved in 10 years ago, my apartment was inspected a few weeks ago.

Probably apartment managers can decide to do their own inspections if they wish to but I've never lived anywhere where they have.