I have six questions to ask a person who is in or just graduated from a nursing program. read the questions in description.?

What made you decide to become a nurse?and why did you choose your specialty?

How did you balance social life and school in college?

Any regrets from choosing this path?

Any tips for nurses just starting out or nursing students?

How was the transition from nursing school to a nursing career?

What is your biggest motivator in your job? (patient care, certain responsibilities, etc)

• juliet

So, I haven’t graduated yet but I WILL graduate in May, and I’ve done internships. I can answer these.

- The fact that my mom is a nurse, my love for people, my love for science/disease processes, and the many specialty and education options made me choose nursing. I did a paid internship in L&D, and I’m going to apply to mainly L&D jobs. I chose this specialty because womens/family health has always been a passion. I’ve been on yahoo answers answering women’s health questions since I was 9! I’m now 22.

-balancing my social life was not hard. But you do need to know when to buckle down reject/not make plans. Some weeks you just need to study a little more of there’s a test or if you’re lost. Other than that, I’ve gone to countless parties and bars. I go to the mall, the movies, and out for food. I do wine and nail nights with my friends. Your life is not GONE.

- barely any regrets. I sometimes wish I’d gone to PA school, since higher level/primary care is where my thinking level is. NP school is an option, but sometimes I wish I’d just done the PA route.but I LOVE the nursing model of care and I love my profession.

-my advice is to always plan our homework and studying every Sunday for the whole week. I also recommend training yourself to read your textbooks; you’ll have SO much more knowledge.

- transitioning from student to summer intern (I was basically a nurse under the supervision of a real nurse) was hard initially (36-40 hour work weeks are killer), but I loved my job, and loved making money. Some of the older nurses are a little mean and unhelpful to new nurses. Grow thick skin and a backbone! I suspect that my official transition will be easier because of my internship experience. So another piece of advice: find a paid internship the summer after your junior year. I lucked out with my

Labor and delivery internship; most are med surg. Nursing school really does help to build your confidence. You’ll notice yourself grow during clinical rotations. Today, I saved our “patient’s”(a mannequin) life because we finally understood how to run a code. I DO feel ready to do this! However, those mean older nurses and my new grad jitters will still make it a tough transition.

My biggest motivators will always be patient care, my mom, my dad (he passed but when he was alive, I’d just gotten accepted into nursing school. He was so excited 🥺), graduate school (I want to continue my education) and income.