Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 8 months ago

Is cleaning fruit with hand sanitizer harmful?

Yeah, I know the main purpose of washing fruit is to remove chemicals, but my sister touched the apple and she's picking her nose and ears all day long, so I went ahead and put hand sanitizer on an apple, and rinsed it with water after that. Could it potentially harm me in any way? Should I eat the apple or should I throw it away?

Had the apple a couple of days ago, nothing bad happened so far

not harmful unless you eat it

• denise

Well I would'nt do that, I'd just rinse the fruit under the cold tap.

Unless the apples are actually muddy or dusty, I don't bother cleaning them at all.

It's fine for you to do that.

Hand saitizer contains isopropyl alcohol! Drinking that will cause symptoms such as intoxication, slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness! So, yes, eating the apple will cause you bodily harm. Throw the apple away, and whatever you do, do NOT eat the apple.

Source(s): I work in a restaurant/trained in health and food safety.

no, absolutely not. I've actually tried once, it improves the flavor.

• Glo

I’d stick to a bit of soap and water. 

Think about this, if you get a big chop wound and can see your cut muscle tissue like a horror movie, what do you think the doctors do to clean it and make it not infected, i.e. get rid of germs? Do they use alcohol or crazy sanitizers? No, they use saline irrigation, salt water.

To clean the wound you got from a rusty ax of germs you use plain old salt water. Water is thought of as the universal solvent. Think of it like a very mild acid. Everything is runs over, it takes a little bit away with it, which explains caves. A good rinse with cold water and rub down with a dry, clean towel is all you need.

Like I implied to someone else the other day here, just assume all your food has been rolling around the floor already. It got to the boxing plant in an open-top rusty dump truck with a few guys in jeans and boots they never wash buried waist deep in your food, picking and throwing onto the floor of the truck bed as they go. Then it was dropped and rolled through mud 17 times by 43 guys in 10 more buildings 3 years ago before you get it. If you haven't been killed by food poisoning yet, consider yourself invincible.

It's fine if you wash it off.

Hand sanitizer contains the kind of alcohol that isn't safe to drink.  It can also contain fragrance and a chemical called triclosan.   It's not labeled "non-toxic". 

Next time just use regular dish washing liquid. 

• Sparky

Just peel the apple and don't eat the skin. You'll be fine.