Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 8 months ago

Why can't people up North pronounce words correctly (Idear, Cwoffee, Dwog)?

face it or not,,english is like chicken recipes buud,

,everyone has their own

wife of lyndon johnson appeared as guest on carsons tonight show waaay back when yer pappy was suckin a binky. she wore a nice flowing gown,longsleeve white gloves, had a nice bouffant doo,

sits down on the chair next to carsons desk on the set,

'WEYWLL HAIIHHH!! and good evnin to youuu johnny carson,,I' em so glyaaad ta be here tanaight,,isnt it great? we faiinally hayave a presudent in th whaitehouse who does not talk with an acceyent.'

Hey I don’t even know what those words even mean let alone pronounce them.  I feel kind of certain that if I walked up to a complete stranger and said “Idear cwoffee dwog,” then they would think I had a serious mental deficiency, or at least thought I had been abusing drugs or some other illicit substance.  

I am now wondering in what context someone may have said these things to you, and perhaps you are now seeking asylum in some distant country.  That or you may have decided to take up residence with your second removed great aunt who has three dogs, two pet sheep and a rather noisy parrot as companion animals.  Too bad about those noisy neighbours hey.  Perhaps you should visit them and ask them to keep the noise from those rowdy chess games down a little of an evening so you can watch the 6pm news in peace.  Then again they may not take your intervention measure peaceably and decide to amp up the next weekly soccer fun festival by inviting all their mates home for a special event.  I could elaborate on that but I do have a few other things I must attend to before retiring this evening.  Say hello to Benji for us will you?  

• geezer

Sorry but ..

Is ''Idear'' ''Cwoffee'' and ''Dwog'' supposed to be right or wrong ?

I don't know what you mean by 'up north'. In what country? Dammit, in what CONTINENT?

We see it the reverse way.  You all talk funny.

• Laurie

The same reason people down south cannot pronounce “oil” (ahl), “tire” (tahr), and “can’t” (caint)... they learned to speak from their (often uneducated) parents, and it is normal for that area of the country.

i live in michigan and i promise we dont sound like drunk cowboys haha

i-dee-a, cough-ee, dog

• Lôn

Up North?...Scotland??

There isn’t really a correct way to pronounce words. It just depends where you come from. Technically you’re pronouncing words incorrectly because you’re American, not English.

Shouldn't that be "dawg?"