Can I obtain a Navy ROTC scholorship with only a GED and good test scores(ACT/SAT)? Or will I need an Athletic background?

I herd that ROTC scholorships(especially 4 year) are very competitive to obtain. Being a part of a sport back in highschool or college helps get you the scholorship to show how physically capable you are.

Should I get accepted into a university first, start a sport, than apply for the Navy ROTC scholarship within my first 4months or It is not required? THANKS!

GOAL : 4 year Navy ROTC to become a Navy SEAL officer

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Squid
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Based on your writing sample, your chances are nil.

Based on no sports, the chances that you have the Olympic athlete level of fitness required to have any chance to become a SEAL are also nil.

However, to answer your specific question, yes it is possible to get accepted into NROTC with a GED and no sports (but extremely rare).  Does your dad happen to be a Senator, or a Medal of Honor recipient?  

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It's going to be difficult with only a GED and a misspelling of "scholarship" and "heard."  College admissions is a competitive sport and you're going to have to fight much harder than everyone else to prove yourself.  You might have to take a few courses as a non-matriculated student or take courses at a local community college first.

You also need to coordinate the college admissions process with the ROTC process as ROTC programs have separate requirements that need to be met.  I believe timing is an issue.  You need to be accepted to ROTC within the first 2 years of college if I'm not mistaken.  You might even have to be accepted at the time you're accepted to the college.  (You'll have to look into the requirements on your own at the college you plan to attend.  I'm not here to do it for you but I can at least give you a starting point.)  

Also, many people who do sports in college have very little time for anything else as athletics consumes most of their time.  You may not be able to do both ROTC and athletics at the same time depending on the time commitments involved so you should keep that in mind.

Whatever you decide to do, just be sure to avoid the spies zipping into your computer and your life to bombard you with their propaganda and lies. Especially The National (Conflict of) Interest and secret Asian men following you into the donut shop.  Lol.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yeah, that's not happening.

• Mark B
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you have a GED, you can forget about a 4-year scholarship.  It doesn't matter WHAT sports experience you have.  A 4-year scholarship is done during your senior year of high school.

For a 3 year scholarship, they will be looking at your college GPA and also high school.  You won't get one.

You MIGHT be able to get a 2-year NROTC scholarship if you have a 3.9 or higher GPA in college, an engineering or STEM major, and SOME sports or other activities.  GPA is going to be the most critical.  Sports are much less important.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You don’t apply for a scholarship 4 months in.  Like all scholarships, they are applied for before the school year begins.  

Anyone can do the first 2 years.  You are not gonna get a 4 year scholarship with a GED.  You might get a 2 year scholarship if you walk on water the first two years of college.  

SO would only happen if you have been playing competitive water polo for years and your class standing in ROTC top 5%

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You need a lot more than just good test scores to get an ROTC scholarship, especially a 4 year scholarship.  They are almost as competitive as service academy appointments.

A GED is not helping you out.  In addition to ACT & SAT scores, they want to see high grades and a high class rank.  Having a GED makes it harder to compare you to other applicants that were in the top 10% of their HS classes.  They are also going to be wondering why you didn't finish high school, which may throw doubts on your perceived ability to follow through on 4 years of college.

They look at the whole person, so they aren't just looking at grades.  They want people that have participated in extra curricular activities (not just sports) and have actually achieved something while doing them--Eagle Scout, club president, team captain, county champion, selected to the all-state whatever, etc.

• martin
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Very few men have the goal you've set for yourself in the Navy. One question you have to prepare to answer is, "Why especially Navy?" They will want to see if friends or relatives have been in the Navy or had military careers.

• 3 weeks ago

lmao-- NROTC to be a seal officer--- maybe 2 per year NROTC graduates even get a chance

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.