Zx asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 4 weeks ago

How would you start off an email for volunteer opportunities?

I am 19, at Uni and I would like to gain experience in HR before I graduate because here in London it’s competitive to get a job in anything. 

I want to do some volunteer work in HR and I want to email my local charities and ask them if they have any HR Assistant volunteer opportunities but I don’t know how to start my email off. 

Here is one I wrote but please re-write it cos I know it’s not good. 

Dear Sir/Madam

I  am writing to enquire about whether you have any volunteer HR Assistant opportunities at ....(e.g. The Princes Trust, British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research etc) 

I attach my CV and Cover letter for your consideration. 

I am studying Business Management and Human Resources at University of [insert uni name] and I’m keen on gaining some practical experience in Human Resources, as this is the field I’m looking to pursue a career in in the future. 

I am available to work Mondays and Tuesdays from 9am-5pm and I can start from next week if that is possible. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon, 

Yours faithfully, 

[insert my name] 

• pmt853

Local charities are small organisations that probably do not employ anyone in a professional HR role. Most HR work in any organisation involves confidential information so they are unlikely to take you on in any significant volunteer capacity. If you are at a UK university then talk to your institution's careers advisers about how best to get into work.

Ask for work experience, not volunteer opportunities.

Your email is otherwise fine.