EU citizen Moving to UK, what will they have to do ?

So my boyfriend of nearly a year will hopefully be moving to the UK in early March from Portugal after graduating after 4 years from economics. 

I’ve done a lot of research but am really unclear with the whole brexit thing. 

He will stay in my house for the first month or so whilst he looks for a place. 

My question is if we have left the EU by March what will a EU citizen have to do and how long can they stay in the UK?

Apologise for sounding unsure on everything, I’m not very good with these sort of things.

8 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    There's no need for random citizens to apologize when it seems even your elected officials don't have a clue about this. The short answer is probably "wait and see".

  • 9 months ago

    1. Brexit is not settled yet, but could be shortly. So at this point, EU nationals should not be counting on being able to enter or remain in UK to work.

    2. Bachelor's in economics is not a qualification for any employment visa. Your bf needs to be looking for jobs in his own country. E.g. internships, even if unpaid, to get his foot in the door with prospective employers.

    IF & when you ever decide to marry, and IF you meet all requirements to sponsor him, including meeting earnings requirements & having a suitable home for the 2 of you, perhaps then you can start planning on living together in UK. Until then, not likely he can find work in UK, or get legal permission to remain there.

    Things are up in the air right now with Brexit. Anything can happen & happen rather quickly. He must NOT count on being able to enter UK next March under EU rules because it's extremely unlikely that can happen. He needs to make other plans, and not go to UK.

  • 9 months ago

    They will postpone Brexit as long as possible, no matter what the voters want. I personally wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens in 2020 either. Thus, your boyfriend just moves from beautiful, yet affordable Portugal to the rainy, expensive, and Muslim infested hell known as Britain and establishes residency there.

    If it were me, I'd move to Portugal instead.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Until the UK know if they have a Brexit deal and what exactly that deal involves the only advice given by the Government is with regards to a no deal Brexit

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

    You're perfectly right in sounding unsure about that - as nobody knows yet how the Brexit is going to happen (again...).

    All we know right now is that is has been postponed, and there should be elections in the UK before. But how the Brexit will look like is still open.

    If it does come to a no-deal Brexit (still a possibility), it'll be at the UK government's discretion at that time whether and what kind of visa he'll need. Similar for the question about how long he'll be permitted to stay. The same would apply in the other direction, should you decide to move to Portugal instead.

  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    EU citerzens will no longer have freedom of movement after January meaning he will have to apply for a visa.

  • 9 months ago

    Quite simple.

    They'll need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme:

  • Lili
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Have your boyfriend discuss this with someone at the British Embassy in Lisbon or at the British Consulate nearest his home.  This isn't a good place to get the information and advice he needs, I don't care how much people pretend they know.

    Why anyone comes to this site for serious information instead of going to a professional is a good question. Details from the Embassy or a Consulate won't cost him anything.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.