Does the gas company have to shut off the entire neighborhood in order to replace a leaking valve at the inlet of the meter?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Nope, they should be able to locally isolate that location.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm an HVAC/R tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him. He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out. 

• 3 weeks ago

yes it is a "dangerous situation" to open a main supply line

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

You sound like a pro.  Anyway, the gas company tech came here and repaired the valve, the grease had dried out. I'm a tech (retired) myself and I hate being watched so I didn't watch him.  He was pretty fast because the pilot light on my old Lennox furnace had not gone out.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

There would be a shutoff valve buried where your service connects to the underground supply mains. But if it's a quick replacement, probably they would do it without the need to turn that valve off.

• In
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. There is a shut off valve in the street in front of each house. It should be in a straight line from your meter to the street.  Anything beyond where your house gas line connects to the meter is the gas companies responsibility.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

As it happens, I am a gas fitter, retired.  And I am quite familiar with residential, commercial and industrial systems.  But I never did any work upstream of the meter, that's the gas company's business.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

That all depends on which side of the meter the value is located. if it is between the meter and street YES!

• harry3 weeks agoReport

you understand gas line routing ?

• 4 weeks ago

Unlikely. They will just swap the valve rapidly with the gas live. A small puff of gas is harmless. Unless they smoke of course.

• 4 weeks ago

yes. that is exactly what has to be done

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There is a shut off before that meter, the only reason to shut off gas to the area would be if the leak is before that shut off or that shut off is damaged, which does happen.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

That is the location, the hand valve, (Yahoo won't let me say gas c***), before the meter/.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That would depend on how their pipes and valves are compared to where the leaking valve is. Could go either way.

• DEBS
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Right.  That's my point.  That's why it depends.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

if the gas company deems it necessary then yes. better safe than sorry.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.