. How many seniors have had knee replacement? I am about to have knee surgery because they are worn out.?

I'm 80 years old and my knees starting giving me problems for about 10 years and now need to be replaced.

i've met several folk in hospital wards, having a second or even third operation on the same knee due to infection or further correction required.

• Flower

I would think twice about that. A nurse told me she had it and it did not fix the problem. Just get a second or third opinion about it. There are some problems with the titanium they put in to replace the knee joint. I have knee problems and am not much younger than you. I am going to physical therapy and do specific leg exercises and it is helping. Yes, my knees hurt but I also take Tylenol. I dont want to have the surgery.

• Cogito

In almost all cases, an operation will fix the problem, stop the pain and enable you to walk normally.  Physiotherapy can help in mild cases, but in my case, my knees have crumbled so much that they are almost useless.  I saw the X-ray. 

• Snid

Probably impossible to know the answer to this.  I am 72 and have a wonky knee but I am not ready for knee replacement.  A friend's daughter is 19 and she just had one knee replacement and will have the second one after the first of the year.

• A C

I have not but any kind of surgery at that age is risky.  And several of my friends have had serious problems with knee surgery.  Personally, if I were 80, I would opt for a motorized  wheelchair instead.  

• A C

Yes.  It works out well for some; others, not so good. 

whatever you say Boomer

• Ann

I had knee surgery and years later, it hurts to the point that I have trouble sleeping at night.  My late husband had both knees replaced.  He wasn't good about going to therapy, and he ended up taking pain pills (Ibuprofin) to relieve the pain.  He ended up with kidney failure (a side effect of the Ibuprofin), and had to go on dialysis.  He got an infection and died in 2017.  If you decide to go through with the surgery, please be sure to do rehab afterward.  It will be painful, but you can recover if you follow directions.  I had a surgeon who didn't recommend therapy and that's why I have the problems I have.  I've gone to therapy, but not when I should have done it right after the surgery.  I had to get another dr. to prescribe it for me, and by that time, it was too late to be effective. 

• Sam

Just think if you had the knee surgery ten years ago when it first started giving you pain.   

You would've saved yourself ten years of pain. 

Also, when you are younger, you heal quicker.   

It is good you're having it now though.  You don't want to go through ten more years of discomfort, still in pain at ninety.   

Get it and get it over with, you'll feel like a new person.

Apparently, there is a long recovery time for replacement knee surgery, much longer than for replacement hip surgery.  Ask a lot of questions first to ensure that you really need this and really want it.  How will it disrupt your lifestyle?

• Cogito

But without the surgery, it's just years of pain and eventually total immobility.  I can barely walk at all, am in constant pain like severe toothache.  It will be worth it!

I am now going to physical therapy because suddenly two months ago I started having trouble with my right knee, but I also am feeling problems in the left now. I walk 30 minutes every day & do knee exercises, but I fear I'm heading towards knee replacements. I'm scared & fearing all of that. I'm only 66 years old, so if I was in my 80's I might have expected this. I wish there was something easier that could be done to solve this problem. I never know when my knee is going to go out on me. I walk up stairs & down three times a day & it's fine, then suddenly step up on a curb & it's really painful.

• Cogito

I'm 65 and getting both my knees replaced in the New Year.  It's nothing to be scared of!  Go for it!

• Tavy

I had mine done in my 60s and so did my husband. We are now in our 70s and they are great, no pain. Go for it.

4 new knees between us.  You Must do your exercises afterwards. No sitting in a chair all day.

UK