How do I change my car oil?

I don't have anybody to teach me this kind of stuff and i haven't changed my car oil in a long time and its the only way i get around the city. I think it's time i start to take things in to my own hands.

A workshop manual for your car (Haynes or Chiltons) will tell you how to do it and change the oil filter, usually a fairly simple but possibly messy job. If in doubt any garage or quick-lube place will do this for you.

• k w

crossthreading it is a typical rookie mistake, made by being distracted, while replacing the plug

pay to have it done. less hassle that way

• k w

yeah, but avoid them minute drain places, the rookies their can be careless/distracted, you don't want to leave the oil draining out of the car as you drive away, go to a trusted source...

• Poppy

For the cost of what you need to change your oil, you can have it done. Added bonus you don’t have to take the used oil to dispose of it properly.

• zipper

You change the filter and the oil at the same time.  In the center of the oil pan you will see a large bolt head at the lowest point, you remove that and have a pan large enough to hold the drain oil. You do this with the engine off, and cool the oil hot will burn you. Then you remove the filter put the new filter on after covering the rubber seal on the filter with some used oil; this will stop the seal from sticking to the engine and make it easier to remove. Then you put the bolt/drain-plug back in do not over tighten it that can mess the threads up and cause it to leak oil. Then you add the oil, in most cars it is five quarts of oil. Start the engine and check for leaks.  If you do not know this; you have to craw under the car to do this.  Have fun!

Go to autozone, they have deals for 5 quart jugs of oil and a filter (the last time I did my wife's car they even threw in a free air filter).

It's best to take the vehicle for a short drive to warm up the oil - which makes it easier to get it to drain out.  Open the hood, remove the oil cap, and put it somewhere.  Also locate the dipstick, but leave it alone for now.

You will need to jack up most vehicles (hers is a Dodge Journey - and I was able to do the whole thing without jacking it up), or use ramps.  If you do use a jack, make sure it is on a flat, and the parking brake is on - and use some jack stands - NEVER get under a vehicle that is not on jack stands.

Slide an oil pan under the vehicle and remove the oil filter - you may need an oil filter wrench or some large channel locks to get it off.  It will have oil in it, so make sure you have the pan handy, and some paper towels to wipe your hands off and catch drips if necessary.  Take the new filter, dip your finger in oil, and use it to coat the gasket on the filter (this will make it easier to get off next time).  Put it on and spin it tight - as long as you have fairly strong hands you can just tighten it hand tight, otherwise you can use an oil filter wrench, but don't overtighten (I've gotten cars from shops/dealers where the filter gasket wasn't lubed and they had cranked the filter on way too tight.

Next use a wrench or socket to remove the oil plug - make sure you have the pan ready (and make sure you have the plug in the middle of the pan and the air release on the edge open. The oil will shoot out a little ways at first, so make sure you have the pan lined up behind it.  Make sure not to drop the oil plug on the oil pan or it will invariably roll towards the middle and plug the hole.  Let it all drain out, and then replace the oil plug - again, make sure you get it tight, but don't overtighten.

Once you are done, you can take the vehicle off the stands/ramps, and use a funnel to start putting oil back in.  Most vehicles use at least 4 quarts, but you can stop and check the dipstick (simply pull it, wipe it off, then reinsert - make sure it gets all the way back down, then pull it out and see what the level is).  Keep adding oil until  you get to the middle of the recommended levels (maybe a little over if the vehicle is older and might use a little oil).

Replace the cap, close the hood, and take it for a drive.

As others have pointed out - there are tons of youtube videos.

• Lv 4

.. then switch off engine & remove blocks & jackstands & lower vehicle, doublecheck for any tools etc on/ around engine & vehicle, clean & replace tools, avoid contact with old oil & oil & wash off, when driving watch for oil warning light, check for leaks, oil on ground, recheck oil level; good q

I always take it to a dealership for maintenance. For $45 bucks, they put in synthetic & the proper filter. But, to answer your question, you'll need ramps to drive the vehicle up on. That safely raises the front end. You'll need to go to a parts house to buy the oil & filter. A socket & wrench to turn the nut, a container to catch the oil & a wrench to remove the filter. A parts house will tell you how & what you need. A hundred bucks should buy it all.

• Ananth4 weeks agoReport

u dont need ramps. I change the oil on my camry without lifting it. And thats a car that loves to kiss the ground with every speedbump

Never bother far cheaper in the long run to take it to a lube shop

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

NO. Grease Monkey  cant compete and use decent oil at those prices. A real  mechanic will want  $50, minimum,  or is no good, either. My motorcycle dealer wants $100 to change. 

It doesn't pay to do your own oil changes. It costs me $32 for 5 quarts of oil and a filter.

It's best to just look for specials on oil changes at fast lube joints or even the dealer.

The last guy that came to me because he had trouble with his car after changing his own oil drained the transmission by mistake and put 4 quarts of oil in the motor which over filled it so much it would barely run.

He did manage to drive if for a bit. Just long enough to ruin his transmission because there was no ATF in it! Cost him $2800.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Ananth4 weeks agoReport

lets add that to the list of things that never happened. you just mad cos u dont want people fixing their own cars and losing ur profits

• Petter

Read the manual?

Look this up on YouTube.  I guarantee there will be a step by step tutorial for your model of car.