Anonymous

I was late to my exam but it wasn;t my fault my grandmother did not wake me up?

I was late for my Economics exam today but my grandmother was supposed to wake me up at 8am and she forgot, so i woke up around 9:30am which was too late to get dressed up and get there on time, i was late. I explained to my professor the situation and he refused to let me retake the exam.

Should I talk to the dean of the university?

It was your fault.

You must not rely on anyone else to wake you up.

I set an alarm but often ask my son to wake me too, but I would never blame him if he forgot.

If you go to the dean with the story it is your grandmother’s fault he will just think you are a prat.  Sorry, but it just has to be said.  If the professor has refused to let you try to take the exam then ask if there is any other way you can make some extra credits for your end of term mark.  

It is your responsibility to wake up and get to class on time. You are an adult, I hope.

Retake exams are generally only limited to students who have a genuine reason, such as getting into an accident, a medical condition (supported by a doctor's note), or other extreme and unpredictable circumstances. 

Your excuse is neither genuine nor valid. You cannot put the blame for not waking up on time on your grandmother. If you knew you had an exam in the morning, why were you not responsible for getting up at your own time? Next time, set an alarm, go to sleep early, and take responsibility for your own negligence. 

You could really try talking to the dean or whoever is responsible for handling these situations, but it is unlikely to make a difference. Nobody who is fair and rational would accept this as a valid reason to retake the exam. Otherwise,all students would give the same lame excuse and expect to be granted a retake. Give it a try though, if you think you can prove your case!

• TedEx

What good would it do to talk to the Dean..?

Your excuse is as lame as "the Dog ate my homework"

Your professor is allowed to require you to take the exam when he says you need to take it. He doesn't have to offer makeups or extra credit to make up for the fact that you missed it. Going to the Dean of his department won't help you, but you're always welcome to speak to the Dean - again, of his department, as there is no Dean of the university. But the Dean can't help you on this. 

• zipper

Getting your *** out of bed on time is your job, not your grand mother's.  In your adult life who are you going to blame! Your an adult now so grow up! And act like one!

If I were your professor then I would not allow you to retake the exam. You could try speaking with the dean of the university. You can say it's my grandmother's fault, for not waking me up on time.

I suppose blaming other people, for your own mistakes is going to be a lesson, for you to learn!

You're old enough to set your own alarm, get yourself up in the morning. A 7 y.o. should be perfectly capable of setting their alarm & getting themselves up & ready for school on time. It IS your fault for relying on someone else to handle YOUR responsibilities. Talk to the Dean, prove you are irresponsible, incompetent, idiotic? You'll be lucky to only be laughed out of the dean's office.

• Laurie

Ha ha ha ha! Good job - blaming your grandmother!

My kids were responsible for getting themselves up on time, beginning in 7th grade. The professor should give you an F.

You are in college and expect grandma to wake you up? Go to the dean and be laughed at. You should be responsible enough to set an alarm clock