Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 8 months ago

Do some clocks occasionally move faster?

I'm not sure if I'm going crazy but I vividly remember numerous moments where I would look at a clock, and see it's second hand moving by really fast... Am I going crazy?!

It's likely that you do have some degree of mental illness.  See a professional immediately.  These types of thing do not get better on their own.

If they are broken

It sounds like you are already off the deep end.

• Nancy

Yes, if it's a synchronized clock.  Some clocks have internal synchronizing mechanisms that synchronize it once a day or periodically throughout the day with a master clock.  Sometimes that master clock is onsite, like is often the case in schools where it's key that all the clocks in the building say the exact same thing.  Sometimes that master clock is offsite, like is the case with what are called "atomic clocks," clocks that synchronize with a computer that keeps track of exactly what time it actually is down to the nanosecond.

When such clocks are analog, what will happen is either the clock will stop momentarily and then the second hand will speed around to point at 12 o'clock so as to begin ticking forward at the exact same hour, minute, and second as the master clock.

Actually, it's your brain. Some second hands make short intervals, while some have continuous motion. Your brain displays the continuous movements as taking shorter time.