What is the best way to remove this scratch from the exterior mirror of my car? ?

Hi. I live in a city and was going in between a really tight street with a double parked car and got this on my mirror. What's the best way to get this off? If I take it to a mechanic shop, approximately how much would it be to get off? Thank you! 

Is toothpaste, magic eraser and isopropyl alcohol safe to try? 

• Joe

It looks like paint transferred from another object.  That's good: it can be cleaned off.

In similar situations, I've used an automotive paste wax, and more rubbing than usual.  Automotive bug-and-tar remover also works - again, with lots of rubbing.

I would not use toothpaste, alcohol, or a magic eraser.  All will take off the shine.

The only non-automotive product I would consider is some kind of vegetable oil.

• Lv 4

good answer; also, use high quality automotive paint cleaner/ polish & microfiber cloths: careful of pressing on mirror housing etc & other surfaces & trim; gently wipe off intermittently to keep surrounding area pristine, patience & gentle cleaning to avoid marring/ scratching; depends on depth   

• M.

"and got this on my mirror"??!!

I'm wondering what you hit?

Is that paint from the other car that is on top of your paint, or is that where your paint was scraped off?

Go visit an auto body (paint) shop.

It looks like you could probably just buff it off - I would start by just rubbing on it with a dry rag.

That's easy. Replace it with a new mirror.

it will polish out easily ...but  be careful ..it looks like metallic paint ..rub too hard and you will go through  the top lacquer coat ..white spirit ..or petrol will do it 

No mechanic needed. It will buff out

• zeno

Buy a new mirror and replace it. Take the old

One out and put a new one in. Problem solved.

I would just put some touch-up paint on it. It doesn't look that bad. A car shop would probably charge you a Iot. They usually never charge less than $100 for even very small paint jobs. Your car manual or something should have the exact shade of the car, and maybe you can order touch-up paint directly from the manufacturer of the car if you call the dealer.