Knee pain/ is it worth an MRI? ?

Yesterday afternoon I injured my left knee playing football, I got tripped up while running and fell with pretty much all my 260lbs worth of body weight on it. I didn't hear any popping but I felt immediate pain. As the night drew on I anticipated it was just sprained, but I was having serious difficulties walking on it and I was in so much pain I was unable to sleep. I visited the ER and was told nothing was broken but the xray picked up swelling and they reccomend I see a specialist immediately. I don't really have the money to A.) Miss work, and B.) Pay to go to a specialist. The pain has subsided since last night but it still hurts badly if I twist my knee, or bend it. Is it possible to do some at home tests to differentiate a sprain or a tear? Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you. 

i would say go for the MRI as you can not tell whats wrong with it if left alone it could lead to permanent damage witch could stop you playing football and even leave you with mobility problems

Source(s): ex footballer with knee problems and now youth team coach

The symptoms are basically the same, except with a tear, you might have a feeling of wobbly instability, like the knee will buckle. Other than that, I don't think there's any other way to tell except a CT or MRI. CT is usually more useful in patients with knee trauma but normal radiographs. MRI is the imaging modality for internal derangement of the knee. And Ultrasonography’s role in the evaluation of acute knee pain is generally limited to assessment of the extensor mechanism, joint effusion, and popliteal cyst.

• Alexander1 month agoReport

Thank you, I guess I'm just biting the bullet and getting an MRI. 

• Andy C

Health insurance covers most of MRI testing. It would certainly be worth it bc if it is a small tear, you can potentially heal 95% from.

If it's small and you don't let it heal/treat it correctly, it will become a big tear or complete tear, which you may only heal with 50% or less functionality.

Economics shouldn't decide health care decisions.

Voting against socialized medicine is voting to be in the situation you are in, AND for others to be in the same boat.

Including your children.

An MRI will give far more detailed information than any other test or scan.