John asked in SportsMartial Arts · 4 weeks ago

Is it mental strength ?

I was told combat and standing up for yourself is all about your mental strengh or heart

Size only helps 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

Yes and no. For facing and standing up to someone with no training and very limited experience then I agree with that. However a trained, experienced individual will also have heart usually and be mentally tough and they will then try to use other things to their advantage like their greater size or greater strength. Ways to negate that or them doing that in turn come with good training and good experience as well as being mentally strong and having heart.

One other thing in relation to this and what I have also learned is that if you have a person beat mentally then it is easier to beat them physically. That being said it also lends some validity to what you are asking but sometimes being mentally strong and having heart are not in themselves enough in some situations for an individual to prevail. Without those things at least though they have little or no chance at all of prevailing.

• Bon
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It is not an either or answer.Training and skill without the mental toughness to back it is of no use. Mental toughness and no skill also does you no good when up against someone who does not how to fight and wants to fight/hurt you.

It is both proper training and cultivating the mental strength that helps you.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It's interesting that you used the phrase "mental strength."

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.