When a person (like Nixon) has not yet yet been formally accused, much less tried, is a preemptive and nonspecific pardon like Ford’s valid?

• Clive

What does that mean in English?

• Virtual_cleo

Was Ford pardon of Nixon legally valid, or was it flawed because Nixon had not been formally accused of anything? If Nixon had later been discovered to be a Russian agent, would the pardon have covered that and still been valid?

Yes, it is.  It's in the Constitution that way.  There's no clause that says that the pardon can only be applied if there has been a conviction, a formal charge, or a "formal accusation," as you put it.  It is, in fact, boilerplate for the President to pardon people prior to any kind of legal action, like when a President issues a written pardon to an intelligence agent or to military personnel for any crimes that may be committed during a classified mission, like murder or assassination of a foreign agent.  This becomes a form of "get out of jail free card" should they ever get arrested or charged.

• Virtual_cleo

I’m a political junkie, and this is news to me. Do you mind telling me your source for it?