Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

How can I help my brother? ?

So I'm looking for advice on how I can help my older brother. He's 30 years old and has such severe social anxiety that he hasn't left his home in several years. Our biological dad was basically the same way. I'm scared that my brother will end up like him. Alone. Our biological dad died alone in his home, where no one found him until several days after. My brother lives on his own in a house that our grandpa owns. He lives in absolute filth, but he can't bring himself to leave at all, and has no way to improve his living situation. He's tried coming out with us or just going for a drive around the neighborhood, but he always ends up having a severe panic attack and having to go back. He desperately needs dental work, but has no way to get it. No income of any kind and no insurance. His dental health is horrible. It has been for a long time. But now, his face and neck are so swollen that it's scary. I want to help him. Me, our mom, and our grandpa have tried helping him over the years to no avail. My grandpa is too old to help him anymore, my mom is struggling to get around because of knee problems, and I honestly just don't know what to do to help. We've tried helping him get disability and counseling, but he always gets denied disability, and the counseling never seems to last. He's tried a few medications, but without insurance, it's difficult to maintain. Any advice would be appreciated. 

4 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Ask your local police to do a welfare check on him. They'll probably put him on a psych hold where he can at least get some medical care. This sounds like something far more serious than just a counseling situation. He may be eligible for medicaid and if he doesn't own this house he lives in possibly welfare and food stamps as well. Someone in this family needs to try to get a conservancy over this guy so they can force him into treatment.

  • Tj
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Get him on medicaid for medical help, then you can try to get a therapist to visit him, get him medication.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    they have programs out there for people without ins, i know cause ive had 5 surgeries without it, one is the indigent care program, or he could try applying for medicaid,

  • 4 weeks ago

    I was a people person until people ruined it. You have to gradually get him used to coming out. He must face his fears and overcome them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.