Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 months ago

My friend pulled a bb gun on someone ?

My friend was going down this street and these two guys blocked him in and wouldn't let him leave so he pulled a BB gun on them to scare them off. Is he gonna go to jail or is this self defense

If somebody is threatening you with violence and you pull out a gun or a BB gun and point it in their direction and say leave me alone or I will have to defend myself that's perfectly legal but to pull out a BB gun or a real gun in order to cause a person to have fear for their life without justifiable cause is considered a felony. In the case of somebody pulling out a BB gun to ward off thugs or attackers if that ever goes to court it's going to be ruled as self-defense.

It's only legal if he pulled the trigger on both of them

• Cee

Tell him to get rid of it. He may get himself killed for carrying the thing.

That is bandishing. In most states that is a felony.

• Jason

Tell your friend to buy a real gun. He's gonna get his *** kicked or shot with that BB gun. What if either one of those dickheads had a real gun? 

In MY State if it looked like a "real" handgun this is an offensive, a jailable offense.

For the purpose of pulling a weapon, anything that LOOKS like a firearm IS a firearm.

There isn't enough information in this story to determine that it was legally self defense.

A BB gun is not illegal. Although, he should be careful. That reminds me of one time, my uncles were driving and somebody cut in front of them. Then when they passed him up, he got road rage and followed them. Then when they were stopped at a red light, he got out and walked up to their window and yelled for them to get out. Then they pulled out a gun, but it was not loaded due to California law. Then the guy just yelled at them to shoot him.

WHERE?  HOW OLD IS YOUR FRIEND?

There is no way to have a legal opinion without more info.

Someone, maybe a cop, could think he is holding a real gun. Lights out!