How hard is it to build my own computer?

I heard I could save a lot of money by building my own box instead of buying one fully put together. I don't have any experience with stuff like that but I am a fast learner. Is it really difficult? I want a blu-ray burner, good hard drive, lots of memory, and a video card so I can play games and have good graphics.

There's a few websites like pcpartpicker that'll let you figure out what parts are compatible. Typically you want to start with CPU, then find a motherboard, then everything else. Get a list of specific games or types of games you want to play and check their recommended specs (keep an eye out for CPU and RAM especially) and choose parts based on those. I think right now any CPU above 3GHz and 8gb RAM is good for most games, but 4GHz and 16gb goes a long way.

AMD had some issues recently so I recommend an Intel CPU. RAM, you don't really have to be picky about.

For power, get something that's rated at least gold. Anything goes wrong with your power and you can fry everything in the box.Ideally, you get a giant fan with a giant case to optimize your cooling. I don't recommend liquid cooling on your first build, just get a good fan.

I don't know anything about overclocking, you might wanna look up stuff on that though.

Graphics cards are pretty cheap right now I think. Get whatever was new 2-5 years ago and you can probably use them for the next 10 years or so for most games. I have a GTX 980 that's been working for me for awhile.

I front-loaded a lot of info, but don't get too intimidated. There's guides all over the place.

• Sylvia3 weeks agoReport

Thanks, I don't know any other girls who can do this so I will be the first in my friends group.

Youtube is your friend when building a pc.  (avoid "the verge" though)  It's not hard, but sometimes things like ram can be picky.

• Steven3 weeks agoReport

Totally Agree Youtube and Google is a good teacher for you. I can helps you to get succeed in the life.. 

This is not hard to build, if you are passionate about it. You have need to learn the basic things and start from this. Good Luck! 

• Steven3 weeks agoReport

Not making troll, just shared my opinions and that i always follow in my life. I hope you understand and stop objection on others post... 

Not that hard if it a put-together kit. If you want to make your own computer by building it YOURSELF, that's another story.

Putting the hardware together is very easy. Loading the OS and software is a bit more time consuming but still rather simple to do. The hardest part is if something goes wrong, which rarely happens, but when it does you can lose your mind. So if you get a faulty part, it can be difficult to figure out which part it is. It's definitely a nice skill to have. As far as saving money, you don't have to buy a whole new computer, you can just update the motherboard, cpu and ram and call it a day. I just upgraded my computer over the summer to a Ryzen 2600 and supportive motherboard with 16GB of RAM for just under $300. I get to reuse my power supply, my case, mouse, keyboard, video card, monitors, all which saves me money. If I had to build the whole computer, I probably would not save that much, but I would have a computer closer to the specs that I want, where you might say I am getting more for the same cost.

• SBR32277

@armouror, yes, like that. I've had that happen. Luckily today, we have multiple computers where I can just use another to download the driver to a flash drive and install it where I need to. Often, Windows has a generic driver that will work until you can connect to download the proper driver.

you tube had endless videos on the subject. you won't save "a lot' of money ... maybe 100 or 200. but you will get to pick the exact components you want instead of what someone else picked

The actual construction is quite simple.  The most difficult part is to research and decide on what parts and components you want, and be sure they work together.  Most builders start with a simple, basic machine and you can find plenty of hints and tips online.

It's not so much about saving money as it is controlling what goes in it. You decide the quality and the value!

• al

This model isn't very hard to build!

• Henry

It takes about 2 days if you have the parts.

Not that hard. Find one of the many videos on YouTube. They basically walk you through the entire process it’s like putting an Ikea item together. Provided you bought all the necessary parts.