I have a biscuit recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan. Could I use cheddar instead?

I dont' see why not

• Lolly

Yes, Red Lobster has made millions doing just that.

• C

If it's sharp/mature cheddar it will turn out very well.  It will taste a little different from the intended recipe but it will still taste like a pronounced cheesy biscuit which is probably your main aim.  I wouldn't bother if you only have mild cheddar, instead I'd use a plain recipe or maybe one with a little paprika to give it a savoury edge.  I swap cheeses around all the time based on "I wonder how that will turn out?" and most of the time it's fine and sometimes even better.

• Clive

No.  The two cheeses are very different and the result will be nothing like the same.

• denise

Cheddar will make the biscuits 'greasier', maybe if you've got something similar to parmesan like pecorino?

Or use 'less' fine grated strong cheddar?

It will not be the same but might be very good.

You can use any cheese you like. 

The cheddar will melt a bit differently than the Parmesan would but the biscuits will be just as good. 

Of course ya can          .

Yes .

You could, but it will change not just the taste but also the texture of the biscuits because cheddar has more fat than parm.   

You could try slightly reducing the butter to compensate for the extra fat in the cheddar, but again, reducing the butter will change the taste/texture of the biscuit.