Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 9 months ago

Ford Focus tdci 2008 lost power?

Hi I’ve recently purchased a Ford Focus and it’s giving me problems already. Driving home from work a loud noise came from the engine, like a tyre busting suddenly with air coming out. The car then lost a lot of power, it’s struggled driving up the hill. I managed to pull over and let it idle for a while with no problem. I decided to chance driving 3 miles home, it drove on under 1500 revs which was high gear and very slowly but it got me home. There was a bit of hissing noise when I was revving also. I’m not sure if a pipe bust or something, if I was really serious the car wouldn’t have drove me home? Any recommendations before I hold of a mechanic tomorrow, thanks very much Luke 

• Neil

The fact that you heard a sound "like a tyre bursting" suggests that it was a failure somewhere between the turbo and the intake manifold. This would leave the engine running without a turbocharger, which would account for it idling fine but being down on power.

Hopefully it is just a loose pipe, which can be reattached, but it could also be a split pipe, or worse still but less likely a punctured intercooler.

Any decent mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair it.

Turbo is likely shot.  Get the car towed to a garage.  And anytime your car is not running right, pull over and call for a tow.

Yes, when you hear a loud noise from the engine turn it off and call the mechanic THEN. Don't leave it ticking over or, worst still, drive it until you know what the problem is.

i think barry could be right ..its happened to me ...one minute fine ..next gutless ...got the AA out and he found it in a minute ...turbo pipe fell off ..it had not been fitted properly ..cant tell you why ...5 minutes later all fixed ..no problem since 

Hopefully a turbo pipe has split or become detached. It's also possible that the fuel pump has partly failed. I had a similar experience with the car limping home. The turbo pipe will be peanuts. A replacement or rebuilt pump will be eye watering.