Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Learning English ?

I am learning English and I still have trouble knowing how to reply in English and wanted to see if y’all could help 

I asked my supervisor that I am in need of a half day next week the 18th and I just received a reply from her asking which half for the 18th

How do I reply to that If I need to leave the office at 1pm 

First you should know that "y'all" is fine for informal conversations but not suitable in written language.

Next, we don't "ask that'". We simply tell or ask. 'I TOLD my supervisor THAT I need a half day next week, on the 18th' or 'I ASKED my supervisor FOR a half day next week, on the 18th'. 

You should have said in your original request, 'I would like to take the morning/afternoon off as a half day on the 18th'.You didn't say that, so naturally your supervisor wants to know. So now you reply, 'Sorry for not making it clear. I need to leave the office by 1 pm'.

For a standard day shift, there is the morning and the afternoon, with noon and lunchtime in the middle.

You need to ask for the afternoon off.

If you want to use southern USA slang properly, "y'all" means one person.  "All y'all" means more than one person.

• martin

Just say the afternoon half, from 1 pm on.

• susan

I think it is helpful to say, "I need to leave the office at 1:00 pm." This answers her question and adds more detail.

By the way, "y'all" is slang instead of proper English. It is commonly used in the Southern United States, and nowhere else.

• ;?)1 month agoReport

Thank you so much for your help!

That would be the second half.