Should I go to the doctor?
Last thursday I went to the campus doctor at my university. They tested for strep and it was negative. She was going to do a culture test but had to leave. She gave me antibiotics for strep. I haven’t felt better at all. I feel miserable and can’t swallow without severe pain. No remedies work for decreasing the pain. Should I go to a different doctor, or just wait it out?
- Simpson G.Lv 74 weeks agoBest answer
You call the doctor and let them know what’s going on. They will tell you if they need to see you again or if they can just write a different script.
- Diane ALv 74 weeks ago
YOu dont need a different doc particularly, sometimes its a guessing game to get to the diagnosis of something, the most common thing fails and you move along to the next. Doesnt mean you have to jump ship, and seeing multiple different people isnt helpful because they start all over each time. Some possible alternatives are: 1. strep not group B (only thing tested in the swab) but you should get better on the antibiotics, 2. a virus (like mono-simple test for that) 3. a peritonsillar abscess, should be visible on exam and would need to ED. 4. other infectious agents depending on your history.
- PippinLv 74 weeks ago
It's not a good idea to take antibiotics for an infection unless there is GOOD evidence that you have an infection. And since the rapid-test was negative and the antibiotics aren't helping (you should be having some relief after 4 days) you need to return -- preferably to a doctor who doesn't hand out inappropriate medication.
- LindaLv 64 weeks ago
Go to an different doc or to the ER.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- 4 weeks ago
Sometimes antibiotics take time to start taking effect properly, and it hasn't been that long. However, if you have a fever over 101 degrees and the pain is unbearable I recommend going to a different doctor.