Since I am not supposed to reverse the rotation of a tire, is there a way to tell which way a tire has been rotating if I buy a used tire.?

• zipper

The tier size and make goes on the out side, not to hard at all, on all cars the tiers rotate the same direction. And if you get it backward, it does not matter as much as some people believe it does. This is also why it is better to buy new tiers to start with!

The easiest and most certain way to tell if a tire is directional is to examine the sidewall and see if there is a "ROTATION" indication All directional tires will have the rotation direction indicated on the outside tire sidewall.

• don r

Unless the tire has a directional label embossed on it, no. Out of the several used tires I've bought, I never had a problem like that.

Not unless it is marked. Buy new tires.

I am not supposed to reverse the rotation of a tire. 

Okay, then explain how you back up?

Tires have on the sidewall an arrow or sometimes a >>> style of marking.  

. Not that it makes any difference as the tire stores mount tires in any direction.  Tire manufacturers know that is likely to happen so their tires go both ways.  It was NEVER AN ISSUE.  Radial or bias ply.  All you get are Radial tires now. Bias has gone the way of the dinosaur.

• Anon1 month agoReport

Rubbish. They are still around. And trailer tires are all bias ply (cords). When I buy a 13" , I have to be very careful it isn't a trailer-use, only.  Many motorcycle tires are still cords. 

Never buy a used tire. It may have hidden impact damage and blowout at speed.

You must be a woman bc women don’t know sht about cars

• Cap'n. America

I now several women who can beat your pants off in a curve on a Heritage Softail. Customize a Harley, too. .

Unless there is some indication on the tire indicating the required rotation, I wouldn't worry about it.  There's no way to look at it and tell which way it has been rotating.

• Cap'n. America

Ill bet if it has a direction arrow and was installed backwards, the tread might show odd wear, cupping. 

Don't worry about it. Back in the early days of radial tires, reversing rotation could cause tread separation. This is not so with modern design tires.

There ARE performance tires that specify which direction they're designed to turn, but that is for traction purposes, and not because it will damage the tire. These tires have arrows showing direction of rotation.

• Trump 2020

Since the question is in "cars and transportation" the assumption is it's a car he's referring to. No mention of cycles. Good point though.

• al

It doesn't matter, you can reverse the rotation of a tire. the first radials (about 50 years ago) would come apart if you reversed rotation. The newer ones it doesn't matter