Are Baby Boomers more susceptible to online scams and cybercimes than people of Generation X or later?

The only person I ever knew who got burnt by an online scam is my Millennial stepson, who got stuck with one of those "Your Computer is Locked!  Call Our Hotline!" scams when he was pirating movies.  The idiot actually called the hotline and old fogey early Gen X me had to waste most of my Saturday scanning and cleaning his PC.

no,because gen x are wrinkly,as baby boomers are knowledgeable of scams cyber crimes

,your welcome,knowledgeable zoomer 

Source(s): zoomer brain
  • Squid

Quite the opposite.  Older people have more experience at life and generally much more skeptical of things that sound to good to be true.

The people that are more susceptible to scams (online or in person) are those with poor educations and/or reduced mental capacity for whatever reason, regardless of age.

• Mercy

depends on the baby boomer and their intellectual strength

I'm 73 and got taken once - not again. :)

• VP

Supposedly, "Boomers" are folks born between 1946 and 1964.  If so, then the '46 babies are now 73 yrs old and the '64 babies are 55 yrs old.  In my experience Boomers are quite cyber-savvy (I'm a '62 baby who has been in IT since '84) -- so I think you're talking about people older than 75.  In other words, the generation BEFORE the Boomers -- aka the Silent Generation.

My dad, for instance, is 87 and refuses to use most electronics. Uses his computer ONCE a year to do his own taxes (after I prep things). Forgets to take his mobile phone with him because he doesn't use it. Couldn't tell an iPad from a Samsung Galaxy Tab if he had to.

• y

I would like to see numbers actually. I think as one gets older, less able to do for themselves, both physically and mentally. They enter areas they have ever been before in seeking the assistance they need. That sort of leaves them open to scams. But I have also seen a number of my sons age, gen x, that have become so causal, so know it all about tech, that they have been burned, more then once, and sometimes by the same stupid online scam.

• A.J.

I think it depends upon the type of crime or scam.

Millennials are victims of financial scams

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/07/millennials-fall-f...

Older for more money, younger more often in consumer fraud including online buying

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/you-ma...

It's hard to find references for what I've read, but I believe that older is more skeptical and the very young are now careful with what they provide for information and the mid-20's to 40's are online and open to many types of scams.

Baby Boomers have more money, so each loss tends to be larger.

Millennials think it's normal for an online commercial seller of an item not to have a provided address or telephone number and don't check the address when there is one. I think Baby Boomers stick closer to reputable sites in online shopping.

Young seek work from home and get scammed.

• Vicki

Honestly, boomers and anything before are yes. Mostly because for the most part millenials and gen. x grew up with technology. We grew up while it evolved. Meanwhile it was introduced late in the game for boomers and they've simply adjusted to the technology.

• Vicki

Right but... I see boomers shying away from and fearing tech change. Literally most boomers I know are... Well honestly, they buy the simplest phone they can find, they don't like owning laptops and can't operate them well. Home PC's are also a mystery but more common. That's my experience at least.

I think the reverse is true. Most Boomers I know are reluctant to put their bank account(s) on line and go totally digital.

• Lili

Not in my experience.  We're pretty sharp and experienced, people, dear. I don't know any boomers who fall for online scams, though I'm sure there are some. We've been using computers in one way or another for a very long time now.  My husband was doing so in the late 70s, and I started in the 80s.

I do know some elderly people -- mid-70s and up, older than boomers -- who've fallen for online scams, though I think they're more susceptible to phone scams. They use phones more often.

• Lili

Darling, you really overvalue your own understanding AND the difficulties of using the Internet.  Believe me, boomers are not ancient, doddering, oblivious people. I'm a college professor with an Ivy League PhD. I use the Internet every day and stay abreast of technology easily.  Grow up.