No Mercy asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How soon after a cat is prescribed prednisolone his hair will grow back?

I was at the dermatologist vet on Friday she prescribed prednisolone 1 tablet first week, then half then 1\4 and allergy diet food. Said if he gets worse come again. He has been taking it for 3 days - no improvement yet, still bald on the stomach and legs and continues licking. Also I really did not understand should I now feed the cat with allergy food all his life or what

Favorite Answer

It can take up to three months for a short-haired cat's fur to grow back, up to six months for a long-haired one.  It will probably be at least a month before you start seeing stubbly growth.  Prednisolone is not "rapid-acting" and can take a week or so before it starts making a difference.  Your cat may get over his allergy and he may not, so yes, he may have to be on an allergen-free diet for the rest of his life.  It's not so bad....I have a cat with allergies that vets haven't been able to pinpoint (the best was that he has yeast allergies) yet his allergy diet has helped a great deal.  If the diet the vet prescribed is prescription, check out the cost at Chewy's as that can save you a few coin.  During the first two months, don't vary from the diet as anything can distort the results and effectiveness.

• ?

thank u for the answer to the question where I could actually get the answer to what I asked

• Ocimom

You can call the vet and ask this question, but hair growth will not be noticable till a few weeks of her taking the medication.

• Ken S

Hi

Steroids for an allergy is not the way to go as it can cause other problems much worse then allergies. Prescription foods is not the way to go as they are really poor quality and have nothing prescription about them except for the price. I strongly advise you to go to www.catinfo.org and learn about feline nutrition.

Your best bet is feeding a raw diet that you would specially prepare yourself.

If you are not willing to go that route then what I would first do is feed an all canned grain free diet. If that doesn't work then you would need to try novelle foods like duck or rabbit or deer. Good luck

• ?

if my cat was eating raw food do u think I wouldn't feed him that and prefer instead spend hundreds of euros on vet and food? dumbest answer ever

• J C

The steroid will cause the cat to be less itchy and stop overgrooming.   It won't cause the fur to grow back in overnight.   That won't happen until the licking stops, and the hair has a chance to grow back over a month or two.   Your questions about him still licking and how long he needs the special food are all ones you need to be asking the vet.  

Hair growth cycles are long and you won’t see any sort of results in 3 days.

Also, this is a steriod used for inflammation and itching, not a hair growth product. If the animal is overly grooming an area til the hair is affected, the grooming behavior needs to cease for the hair to grow back.

If the cat is still licking as badly as it was before the drug, then the drug isn’t working. I’ve given that many times and it typically affects the itching / overgrooming immediately.

I suggest you discuss this with your vet. That’s a pretty heavy drug to have it not working.

Vets tend to suggest “allergies” for anything irritating a pet into overgrooming. I chased my dogs “allergies” for four years with three vets spending thousands of dollars before I figured out, on my own, that it wasn’t allergies at all but a fungal overgrowth that reacted to her loving to play in a kiddie pool and with running water.

You may need to have him on allergy food all his life maybe not, depends on if that is really what it turns out to be.

If you feel at all unclear about what is going on, see if you can have a conversation with your vet. If you can’t have a conversation with your vet, you may want to consider a different vet who is more accommodating. I’ve had the same vet for ... close to 30 years, she has helped me with at least a dozen pets I’ve had through their whole lives. She is wonderful and spends plenty of time answering my questions and giving advice.

• ?

thanks for the input, this is already a second vet and it is already a thousand euros and the cat has been tested for fungus and other skin infection. he does not have any

• Jack H

Normally, with medication, you would expect to use half the full amount given before you see any improvement, three days after 1st dose, the medicine will just be getting into the system, follow the advice of the dermatologist, she's the expert here...