Dave asked in SportsSnooker & Pool · 8 months ago

How to get over nervousness in my pool league matches ?

I would say I’m a better than average pool player. I practice multiple times a week and play in 2 leagues.    In practice alone I do drills and when I practice with other people I can run a few 8 and 9 ball racks here and there.    

My problem is when I get in real league matches or tournaments I get clammy and nervous and I end up not shooting nearly as well as I do in practice or practicing games with others.   I find I take some bad shots, bad ball position and just miss easy shots.   It’s a struggle to win my matches when I know it shouldn’t be in a lot of them.    

How can I get over these nerves and play my real game?   I would have thought that 6 months into this league thing I would have gotten over it :( 

• John

Most people have this problem.  The more tournaments you are in the less nervous you'll be.  Try to stay focused on the table and don't freeze up, just play the way you usually play.  I know it's easier said than done but just realize it's all a mental thing.

• DIEGO.

this is a good question!