Why are traffic cones orange?

Why on earth are they orange? It doesn't make any sense to me. They could've been a much better coloured for Christ's sake! Green? Blue? Even red is a better option.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

because god made it that way

• 1 month ago

It is a colour that stands out

Especially when you are driving along in a car

And lets you know of imminent hazards

Ronald Macdonald's hair is the same colour

Attachment image
    Source(s): The Original Ronald Macdonald in 1956.... Scary Man !!
  • 1 month ago

lmao its so it gets your eyes attention and glows in car lights at night, red would work to, thats also why sale signs in store windows are red or blue, it grabs your attention.

• F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I know what you mean. My car is blue, orange doesn't co-ordinate with that at all.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

what does Christ have to do with traffic cones?

orange stands out the most. 

• 1 month ago

It is the most noticeable color. They make orange shirts for people who get out in traffic, but I refuse to wear one because it is too easy for crazy drivers to see me.

• 1 month ago

Orange is more noticeable against a background of grass, trees, water, sky.  Cannot say so much for green or blue.  As to red, that is for stop signs and lights.  Cones just warn you away, but don't stop--you could get hit from behind.  Not true if they were red.

• 1 month ago

At night, they’re easy to spot. In the daytime, there easy to spot. 

The cones are orange because they stand out. Would you want it black where it blends with the road so that it’s difficult to spot. 

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They aren't made to be pretty, they are made to be seen clearly at a distance.

• Matt
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They are orange so they can stand out. Cones are there to be noticed. So why would you use any other color than the most noticeable color?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.